blrw chick help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by superchemicalgirl, Jan 2, 2011.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I just hatched some of these, and while really all I know about BLRW is that they're pretty, I also know they come in blue/black/splash.

I got the eggs from redroofhens.com.

Is this silvery blue colored chick the splash? Out of 9 hatchlings I only got one that looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The others are either light brown or dark brown like this:
    [​IMG]

Any ideas?

2. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    it could be a splash if it is a blr. some can be very pale colored as chicks and even some splash are more blue then that.
    remember you can sex wyandottes days 1-3 using the wing feathers (check youtube under discovery channel show)

3. ILOVEFRIZZLES

ILOVEFRIZZLES Red Roof Hens

Feb 2, 2009
    Hamilton Ga
    looks like a splash to me. You got a good hatch. 9 chicks can not remember if you got 10 or 12 eggs

4. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Quote:Oh hi! [​IMG]

You sent 12, I set 11. Out of those 2 were nothing more than yolk at day 10. The rest developed and hatched!! Thank you for sending them.

5. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    Splash really vary - that one looks for sure like a splash but some of your light brown ones could also be splashes. You will know when the wing feathers start to come in.

I know that some people feather-sex them but I also know that Murray McMurray vent-sexes them (which I think they would not do if they thought it was possible to reliably feather-sex them). So I looked at mine but only as a curiosity, not with the idea that I was really going to know for sure.

6. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Quote:Well I'm only keeping 2 of the chicks... I've attempted to feather sex a few but once I throw them back in the brooder they all look the same so it's a moot point. I attempted to mark one that I really thought was cute and fuzzy with Blue Kote (since I could not find poultry leg bands and I don't trust myself with zip ties [see previous experience of cutting my broken legged chicks tip of her toe off while trying to remove her cast - she's fine and it makes a better digger for scratching LOL]) but the Blue Kote doesn't stay on very well. Tried the toes and the feathers.

Funny because blue Kote stays well on ME.

7. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Wait until they feather before deciding which ones to keep..cute now doesn't mean well laced later...but they are cute [​IMG] The one in question should be a splash.

8. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Quote:Great idea but I can't. I have until Saturday to decide. I don't really care tooooo much (I mean, I want beautiful birds but personality has a lot to do with it for me, too) but I really don't want roosters. And I hate when they squeal when I try and look at their wings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by