BLRW eggs - Anyone know the color breakdown for chicks hatched?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ban seabhag, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    I have BLRW eggs in the incubator. Anyone know what the color expectations are? I understand the color doesn't breed true, but I may be wrong. I am very curious about what I may expect.

2. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I found this on an eBay listing for BLRWs:

Blue Laced Reds come in three colors: dark blue (kind of a charcoal color), blue, and splash (very light blue to whitish).

Skin and feet are yellow, with horn colored beaks and bay eyes.

When breeding BLR, this is what you can expect from the colors:

Blue X Blue = 25% Black, 50% Blue, 25% Splash
    Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
    Splash X Splash = Splashs

I have a few in my incubator with a hatch date of january 11th. This will be my second attempt. the first time only two hatched, one died and one was a Buff Orpington! I so hope I have better luck with Janie Marie's BLRW's! Let's remember to compare notes. Well, you'll have to be the one to remember because I have already used my lifetime supply of brain cells. Good luck!

Mary

3. Ban seabhag

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    Brain cells? Brain cells? Where does one get those?
    Thank you for that info. Makes it a lot more exciting to see what happens! I check in when (and if [​IMG]) they hatch. I have 6 that I am putting in tonight. The eggs look pretty good so here's hoping.
    [​IMG] for yours this time through!

4. cedar post

cedar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    Quote:Don't forget to mention Black X splash will give 100 percent blues. Mike

5. Ban seabhag

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    Thanks for adding that one. I need to find out what the parents are for sure. I believe they are both blues.

6. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    I sent a PM to Janie Marie and asked her to pop in here and tell us what's what, especially my eggs! By the way 6 of 8 have little embryos growing, two were clears (extras). I am so excited that I might actually get a living BLRW! With my luck I'll get one and it will be a roo!

7. Ban seabhag

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    I'll look in to see what she says. I don't know for sure what the parents of mine are but I think they were both BLRW's. That means 50% I think. (invision smoke curling)
    I'm glad you have 6 goers! [​IMG]
    Mine go in tomorrow morning [​IMG] I'd love to have some of these.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  8. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    OK Haven't been on in a bit but this is what I know: (I just copied and pasted this info from my blrw page on my website) I'd better make a blrw byc page!

The Wyandotte is an American breed of poultry. The Blue Laced Red (BLR) is a relatively new variety and is still very much a work in progress. They are not recognized as yet by the American Poultry Association. The BLRW's were developed using the Andalusian Blue gene, consequently there are 3 different possible colors of lacing when breeding these birds: Blue, Black or Splash. All of the variations produce stunning birds!

Blue BLR: Is just that. Blue Lacing around the red and the color most often associated with this breed. The blue lacing can vary from a very light blue, which can even be confused with the splash, to a very dark blue.

Black BLR: These have black lacing around the red and are very similar in appearance to the Gold Laced Wyandotte but gene modifiers give them a more red than gold color. Genetically they are BLR as they carry the blue gene and when crossed with other variations of BLR's have the ability to produce blue laced birds.

Splash BLR: These have white lacing around the red and are sometimes referred to as White or Buff Laced. But again, genetically they are BLR, carrying the blue gene and when cossed with other variations of BLR's have the ability to produce blue laced birds.

The following combinations in mating the different varieties of BLR will yield the following results. These are theoretical and mother nature usually has her own theories so these are rough estimates in practice:

Blue x Blue = 50% Blue 25% Black 25% Splash
    Blue x Black = 50% Blue 50% Black
    Blue x Splash = 50% Blue 50% Splash
    Black x Black = 100% Black
    Black x Splash = 100% Blue
    Splash x Splash = 100% Splash

Hope this helps! Any other questions please holler! And if anyone can add to this or knows something different Please chime in cuz I'm still learning too! [​IMG]

Mary glad to hear you got 6 growing! In the pen your eggs came from there were 2 blue roos and that gorgeous splash roo in with 5 blue hens and 2 black hens so basically the possibilities are endless! It'll be just like Christmas all over again when they hatch!! There's also 1 hen with a single comb to help aid in fertility.
    Happy Hatching!

9. The Sheriff

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Wow thanks!

10. Ban seabhag

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    That's super. I didn't know any of this when I ordered them, only that they didn't breed true. I can hardly wait to see what I get (if I am lucky) Eggs are in the incubator [​IMG]
    Mine have blue parents. Still a nice variety of possibilities.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by