BLRW eggs coming today!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 1keegan, Jan 21, 2012.

1. 1keegan

1keegan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Very excited that 23 BLRW eggs are on their way here from nearby. Not sure what kind of hatch to expect with a borrowed Hovabator 1602N and this extremely cold weather we've been having in WI.

A question- the Hova instructions say 100 degrees, but the Storey Guide says 'follow the instructions', yet lists temp. should be 102.

I read somewhere that you could lay the eggs on their sides in a cardboard egg carton in the incubator so they don't roll around. Good idea? Bad idea?

thanks

Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
  2. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas

Are they from Brent [​IMG][​IMG]? I'll have to go take a chic tease pic for you [​IMG]

3. 1keegan

Jan 11, 2012
    No, a local 4H-er.
    I'd love to see pics of babies though!

We hatched some eggs 4 years ago, but here I am, more nervous than I expected!

4. Melissa Rose

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Here a few of them [​IMG][​IMG]. There are still a few in the fluffer the yellow chicklets are Salmon Faverolles that hatched a day earlier [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 1keegan

Jan 11, 2012
    So cute! What is your flooring material? And what's on the left side of the pic- almost looks like a stuffed animal?

6. Melissa Rose

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    It's a stuffed bunny [​IMG]! The flooring is the non slip shelf liner. The faverolles have feathered feat and it helps them keep up right and get good traction and footing [​IMG][​IMG]. I use it in the incubators when they are hatching and then in the brooder boxes for a little while till they are totally up right and mobile [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by