BLRW experts...is this good lacing?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Hangin Wit My Peeps, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I got this little one free from Amy and I would like opinions on it please. I have NO clue what a young bird should look like so any opinions will be welcomed [​IMG] This little one is about 6-8 weeks old i'm guessing.
    [​IMG]

2. McSpin

McSpin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    South Western NY
    I'm no expert - still in the early learning stages myself, but I can say that lacing is something you can't judged early. It changes tremendously. I have 3 lines that include about 50 birds between 8 and 22 weeks old and the pattern has changed greatly since they were young and seems to continue to change as new feathers grow in.

From what I understand, it changes again after their first molt, so it's a long time before you can truly evaluate the pattern. That said, your bird's pattern looks reasonable compared to other birds I've seen that age.

The most important trait to cull for is body-type. Out of 15 cockerels over 17 weeks old I've only got one that looks like it's got good potential for the true wyandotte body-type. Personally, I wouldn't worry about pattern until after you get a bird that looks like it's got the wyandotte shape.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Thanks much...That is good to know and never thought they changed that much so I'm glad I asked. I'm not really planning on breeding them at all but just was curious. I have five...looks to be two boys and three girls and just wanted some color in my flock of laying hens so thought these guys would be a good addition [​IMG] Thanks for the opinion!

4. McSpin

McSpin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    South Western NY
    If that's all you want, you're all set. Even the ones with poor patterns are gorgeous birds.

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Of the blrw's i have raised so far, i think that one has very nice coloring. I had some that were not as pretty as that one, but grew to be beautiful. Then, like McSpin said, they got even more beautiful after the first real molt at just over a year.
    So i think that one will be a very beautiful hen [​IMG]

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Lurky, I'm glad you think it's a hen because that's what I was thinking compared to another one I had that had some red waddles growing already. I prayed for 4 hens and a roo but looks like I am getting 2 roos and three hens. Can't beat that really. They all look like this when it comes to the lacing. Anyone want a BLRW roo??? FREE

7. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    I'll take the roo if you can drop him off!! [​IMG]

8. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    I'll have to get some pics from this weekend. We have 78 total birds going to the show...5 of which are the standard BLR wyndottes. This would be the older siblings and parents to the ones you have. I have 2 cockerels, 1 pullet and 2 of the older hens in condition. These are sooo easy compared to the 44 silkies I have to bathe this week. Amy

9. chickenlady81

chickenlady81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2008
    Weare, NH
    It looks like a pullet to me too..I have 3blrw and one is a roo around 20-22 weeks and he is crowing now with very red waddles and a comb. The girls have barley anything.

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Amy let me know how those do at show. I am SO bummed I can't be there like I had planned [​IMG] Even more bummed I can't add to my silkie group [​IMG] I am heading to the neillsville show for a few hours this sat [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by