BLRW gender questions...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Rainwolf, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    Ok folks here are the 4 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes... Please let me know if you think it is a cockerel or pullet :D

Chick A
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick B
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick C
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hatched Feb 6th 2012

2. chickenmaniac

chickenmaniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Arizona
    looks like a pullet to me....

3. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop

all 4 of them?

4. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I would keep an eye on those combs. They seem to be getting hen feathers but the combs are pretty pink. If they start to raise up in the next week or so, you've got a load of roosters.

5. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    Its usually 8 wks before you can tell for sure. Boys will have very obvious pink combs and their wattles will be in also.

6. chickenmaniac

chickenmaniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Arizona
    yess i believe all four of them

7. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    I have 5 BLRW that were hatched the very same day as yours. Maybe in a little bit, I'll go take a couple pictures of mine so we can compare together. I think I have at least 2-3 cockerels. Their combs are a little bigger and redder.

8. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I have noticed that BLRW girls tend to have pink combs early...mine all did. I feared they were all boys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This turned into this

[​IMG]

And this

[​IMG][​IMG]

turned into this

[​IMG]

So going by that, I would say girls...but it would be easier to tell with a body shot from the side, as from this angle, it is hard to see the size of their feet/legs.

9. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Agree with the others...look like girls so far. By 8ish weeks, you should know better.

10. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    Ok, I just went out and took some pics of my BLRW that are the exact some age. I think I have 3 cockerels and two pullets. I'm pulling it mainly from the wattles. The boys' combs are slightly bigger, and I also see a difference in their feathers already. Real experts, if I'm totally wrong, please set me straight!

[​IMG]
    See how you can already see wattles forming? Plus, look at the feathers on the shoulders, as compared to the feathers on the wing. I think this is a cockerel. (I think the bottom left chick is a pullet)

[​IMG]
    I think this one is a girl because the comb is smaller, as is the wattles. The feathers around the neck/shoulder seems different too.

[​IMG]
    cockerel on the left, pullet kind of in the middle.
    [​IMG]

Here's the whole group of five (plus two lavender ameraucanas that are 3 or so days older).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by