BLRW joke - now 11 weeks old, is it a boy??! (answer in post #82)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by technodoll, Jun 21, 2010.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    I posted this in a previous thread but it's getting lost in the rubble, so hopefully this post will get some answers... [​IMG]

This was supposed to be a BLRW chick. It apparently has proper lineage (nicely laced parents) but IMO something went wrong, it looks like a mutt to me.

Anyways.

Thought it was a pullet a month ago but now my hopes are sinking.

He/she is now 10 weeks old and although there is no comb and the wattles are barely there, I see saddle feathers growing in. Face is getting red, hackle feathers look pointy, wing feathers are shiny/irridescent and those legs ain't small.

I'm so discouraged - we're over-run by boys and I can only keep a handful, the rest will have to be re-homed after all this hard work and investment - and who the heck wants a mutt rooster anyways?. [​IMG]

I took some pics today and would love confirmation that Scarlet is, indeed, a boy [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THANK YOU!!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  2. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Yeah, it kinda looks like you got something other than a BLRW, sorry. I am not supre good at sexing, but the comb and wattles hardly look roo-ish to me. I only say that because my chicks at 10 weeks old (various breeds) have much redder and larger combs and wattles at 10 weeks. I think you still have hope for a pullet, hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

3. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    BLRW............................[​IMG]

You got an EE my friend, look at that comb! Guessing a pullet since it would be redder and wider if a boy.

4. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    I would say female.

5. Alaska animal lover

Alaska animal lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Palmer, Alaska
    Wyandottes have pea combs, but I don't think that's a BLR. It does look like a pullet to me.

6. macmama

macmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    I don't know of this is true of BLRW, but I know SLWs look MUCH better the older they get-- the lacing is often really messy until after the first molt, and is prettiest after the 1-year mark... so she may end up looking prettier. It does look like a pullet to me too-- but I'm a chicken newbie.

7. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    My vote is pullet; and I think when she feathers-up she is going to be pretty - whatever breed she is!

8. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I'd say girl, especially if she is part wyandotte. Those boys have much bigger and redder combs at 10 weeks.

9. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    So am I imagining those shiny, orange, pointy hackle feathers starting to grow in the middle of her back?

What about the pointy neck feathers and the red face around the eyes?

I shouldn't worry about those since the rest of her seems to be pullet?

*so confused*

PS: I did report this to the breeder, who was very perplexed since her breeding pen for BLRW is strictly controlled and she has beautiful birds. I bought 7 chicks from her, out of the surviving 6 there is this "off the mark" one that she cannot explain and is very apologetic about. My guess is a throwback gene popped up, perhaps her birds are not all pure... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  10. shandiane78

shandiane78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    Definitely a cockerel! Look at those saddle feathers coming in!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by