BLRW?????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by buzzard chick, Jan 30, 2008.

1. buzzard chick

buzzard chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Toms River, NJ
    Has anyone had experience with thease birds.? I am thinking of getting a few for eggs. Are the nice, calm and good layers. Thanks for any insight..
    Jen

2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I purchased a laying hen from a breeder. She is mean, aggressive and has NEVER laid an egg for me. I have had her 7 months. Needless to say I will be getting rid of her. I have heard of others who have them and LOVE them. PM Carri Brown, she has them and can tell you more about them. Mine could just be a bad egg. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  3. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    We had largefowl and now have bantams. The largefowl are great layers, make good broodies, are calm, and the roosters we had we all very nice to the hens. I loved them.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I hatched some BLRW eggs several weeks ago, so I can't speak to how they are as adults, but the chicks have been the tamest, most friendly chicks I've ever had.

5. buzzard chick

Aug 17, 2007
    Toms River, NJ
    Thanks for all the replies . I'm thinking about getting some to hatch next week. Katy where did you get your eggs?

Jen

6. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Muy BLRWs are only 6 months old so i can't tell you much about laying habits but my pulllets are very friendly and calm birds. The breeder I bought them from says they go broody often so they aren't the best choice for laying. From what I can gather there are two distinct strains of BLRWs in the US. The darker red German type and the more orange colored BLRWs that have come about from GL crosses. I have the Germans and they seem to be more of an exhibition type (they are not a recognized variety in the US though) and so they may not lay well. The lighter colored strain seems to lay better.

7. buzzard chick

Aug 17, 2007
    Toms River, NJ
    Thanks for that info Picco. I have seen that they come in light and dark. Very lovely looking none the less.
    Jen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by