Blu-Kote for bare/scratched backs on hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Want Less, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Want Less

Want Less Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    New Bern, NC
    I've read several posts about people using Blu-Kote on scratches and bare backs and such. Two of my hens (one more than the other) are becoming bare backed due to our rooster -- they are his favorites. We've recently made saddles for the both of them, but one of them has raw scratches on her back and I wanted to put something on it. After reading a bunch of posts about it, I picked up some of this:
    [​IMG]

And I just wanted to make double sure that this is the same stuff you guys are using? They didnt have the spray version, only the liquid with the dauber in it.

Another question out of curiosity... I know it will serve as a wound dressing, but by any chance does the color of it covering up their bare skin help deter others from pecking? Or do they just know a bare back is a bare back, regardless of the color? If it makes any difference, one hen is a solid black sex link, so her bare spot is very obvious and draws attention, the other is a RIR.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    yep thats it, good stuff and it can help with pecking, if you have the saddles then treat with the blue-kote let dry then put them saddles on them..

3. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Yep thats blue kote. And it works wonders. Id be lost without it. It definitely deters picking. I believe it has to do with both taste and covering the sight of blood.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It is reported to deter pecking with the color, and has worked for me the couple of times I have used it. Some have more success with it than others. Glad you got the saddles, too.

5. redhd077

redhd077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    I have use the spray for wounds, but not for bare backs. I would be intrested to see if it works. What is a saddle?? Im new here do you have a picture? I have a few chickens with bare backs. Have you ever see one with a bare bottom?? I have two. I lost one of them last week....still not sure what happened. I have been watching the other one really close and she is good, but that bare bottom looks so out of place.

6. neuchicontheblock

neuchicontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    So putting it on the hen's back won't deter the roo from mounting or m/b just discourage him? One won't keep a saddle on and she is beat up already.

7. Want Less

Mar 24, 2010
    New Bern, NC
    Thanks everyone for the quick responses! I'm going to track down some gloves and get to painting some chicken backs... [​IMG]

Quote:A saddle (or sometimes called an apron, I'm not aware of a difference) is a fabric cape-like garment you can you can either purchase or (like many here have done) make your own. I made mine out of an old pair of blue jeans and a couple strips of elastic. Mine look like the Hensavers brand with the crossing elastics.

8. Want Less

Mar 24, 2010
    New Bern, NC
    Quote:What design of saddle are you using? The first one I made to look like the regular Hensavers with the elastic piece that just loops under the wing on each side. She got it off in less than an hour. I took the elastics off and made it like the Hensavers with the crossing elastics (so her head goes through it as well and the elastics cross on her chest) and it stays on. I made a second one for another hen who was starting to loose feathers as well.

9. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:And you will still wind up with some of it on you somehow! I don't know what it is about blue kote that guarantees you will wind up with some on you every time you use it! [​IMG]

10. redhd077

redhd077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    That is so funny! I have never seen them! Does the hens like it or do they try to get out of it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by