Blu-Kote in roosters eye

Cluckatar

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 12, 2009
Vashon, WA
We have a year old silver cuckoo marans rooster who is our flock guard. About six weeks ago he fought hard with our other rooster and took a lot of superficial damage to his comb. We re-homed the other guy and kept the marans. He healed nicely but a few weeks ago some of the younger hens started pecking at the scars on his comb. Over the past few days it got worse and was bloody by night.

So, we got some blu-kote which we've not used before. It has the dauber applicator. We put it on his comb and I think a bit too much. He shook his head and it dripped into his eye. Then he was very upset and scratched at his comb and eye. He's settled down in the coop with the hens now. We tried dabbing it with wet paper towels but didn't have much luck.

Is it okay to leave him like this? I don't think I can get ahold of him at this point to do anything more. Poor guy is so much worse off after treatment than before :(

He's probably o.k. but if you feel like you can grab him off the roost, then you can try rinsing the eye with saline.

If you have photos of his injuries you wish to share that would be good. You are right, hens will pick at scabs, so you may have to keep him separated out until he heals.

Can't help but give a bit of a chuckle over the Blu Kote, that stuff gets everywhere. You are lucky he didn't shake his head and splatter it all over you, then you would have Blu dots on your face and clothes. The dauber is pretty much worthless for treating chickens, so I would suggest using a qtip for application - makes it a little easier (sometimes):lol:

Q-tip makes so much sense. Will try that when we repeat. I will try and get pics tomorrow in the daylight. He's got a good spot where he KNOWS I can't reach him right now, and the hens closed in around him.

Q-tip makes so much sense. Will try that when we repeat. I will try and get pics tomorrow in the daylight. He's got a good spot where he KNOWS I can't reach him right now, and the hens closed in around him.
Sounds like he's on to you 😅

See if you can grab him in the morning to see what the eye looks like. The Blu Kote may be a bit irritating, so he might have a little discharge or something. Flush the eye out and wipe away any discharge if that's the case. Likely he's fine though.

He does look okay this morning and is acting normally. I will attach a few pictures in case someone with more knowledge of rooster combs sees something (he is our first rooster although we've kept chickens for a long time). The purple pics are this morning. The other is from a few months back as reference, before the fights with the snowy rooster and the scarring. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_7537.jpeg
    IMG_7537.jpeg
    724 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7543.jpeg
    IMG_7543.jpeg
    679.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6991.jpeg
    IMG_6991.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom