1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blu-kote Usage

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RoosterRidge, Sep 12, 2011.

1. RoosterRidge

RoosterRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    We have lost 2 from their behinds being pecked. Managed to save a possible 3rd. We have had the pecker in a cage inside the coop for 5 days now. We let her mingle with the others after 2 1/2 days and she started up again after an hour. We let her have the coop and run when the others are free ranging, so she isn't pinned all day. We have to be away for a few days and I was wondering if Blu-kote would keep them from pecking each other if I sprayed all of their butts. I really hate to have her confined for those few days in a cage. The others will have the coop and run as they will not be able to free range. I have someone coming to let them out and close things up at night. The one that I am nursing back will stay in the house and be checked on also. I guess I am just worried about them harming each other while we are away. We also purchased a flock block to help keep them from becoming bored. I don't want to loose anymore of my babies.

2. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    Highly recommend pinless peepers. Cheap, and worth a try. Easier than bluKoting daily and may do the trick. National Band sells the peepers and has the best prices.

3. RoosterRidge

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    Quote:Please don't think I am stupid but what are they?
    [​IMG]

4. boogiedog

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    Hey Roosterridge, no worries! They are plastic sun-glasses-looking things that fit onto the top of the beak of the chicken (and little plastic pins go into the nostrils to hold them on). The "lenses" part are solid plastic, and it prevents the chickens from being able to focus foward and pick at feathers. Does not impact their ability to eat, drink, scratch for treats - but does make it hard for them to pluck out feathers.

Putting them on is a two-person four-handed job, (I warm mine up in hot water to make the plastic softer and easier to put on), and taking them off is easy. You can always try them for a while and remove and see if the behavior has stopped. Inexpensive but priceless if it fixes the problem.

Good luck!

5. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    Interesting idea, but don't they interfere with the chicken's breathing?

6. boogiedog

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    Not at all. The first few moments after you put them on there is some drama, but within a minute (literally) all goes back to normal. I have noticed no behavior changes whatsoever other than decreased feather picking. My hens are still fat, happy and spoiled...

7. RoosterRidge

Jun 14, 2011
    Dry Fork, Va.
    Thank you so much.... I am placing an order for 25 of them now.... Have another question how often do you have to change them out? I swear if it wasn't for the nice folks on BYC I would have just lost it this past week.... I am so thankful to have this site.... I have been so humbled many times by my chickens.... I thought all I would have to do is feed them and water them and collect eggs.... I never thought I would fall in love with them like I have.... I was addicted to Facebook but now I am addicted to BYC.... [​IMG]

8. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    what are the snap-p pliers that are needed to put them on?? are they absolutely necessary??

never mind ... I found people who said no already!

Check out this video - pinless peepers with googly eyes!! hilarious!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  9. boogiedog

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    With the plastic pinless peepers, no c-rings or plyers necessary. The peepers do not have be changed - they will stay on as long as you leave them on (unless they somehow pop them off- not common). In fact, you can take them off and re-install the same peepers.

Again, the trick to get them on easier is to heat up a cup of water (about 1.5 minutes) and then drop in the peepers. It heats up the plastic enough to allow you to bend apart the pins and get them on much easier than trying them cold. BIG difference!

Don't panic when you see the first reaction of the hen after she gets them. She will scratch at them, shake her head and the others will be absolutely transfixed looking at them (that is the funny part:)). Within moments all will be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by