Blue Air Sac/Pocket/Cell

FirstIncubator

Hatching
Sep 6, 2016
Hi everyone, thank you for your help in advance. Or just for reading this..

I have a mix of duck eggs in a small incubator. After unsuccessfully trying to hatch some abandoned Muscovy eggs I decided to get some eggs of my own and try again seeing as though we have a lake in the back yard and I think they'd really enjoy it here. Anyways, one of the eggs has turned blue but only on the top third where the air pocket is. I searched online for this issue using the different names for the air bubble and nothing turned up. I read alot about blue eggs that were blue all over or in the center. Has anyone had any experience with a blue air portion only?

I will include a pic I took. It is the egg in the back (top) middle

Thank you again

I have a mix of duck eggs in a small incubator. After unsuccessfully trying to hatch some abandoned Muscovy eggs I decided to get some eggs of my own and try again seeing as though we have a lake in the back yard and I think they'd really enjoy it here. Anyways, one of the eggs has turned blue but only on the top third where the air pocket is. I searched online for this issue using the different names for the air bubble and nothing turned up. I read alot about blue eggs that were blue all over or in the center. Has anyone had any experience with a blue air portion only?

Thank you again
@RavynFallen

Thank you again
Welcome to BYC!

Have you candled it?

-Kathy

Thanks guys

They're all a little flurry looking bc we are only on day 8 today.. so candling didn't help too much :?

I turned it upright which seems to have helped. I don't know if the blue has faded though or just dissipated.. which would probably mean it was the start of an infection :/

I will let you know the outcome in case it does hatch then upwards turning may be good advice for someone with a similar problem.. I guess it's probably a bad egg though so I will keep an eye (or nose) out for anything smelly.

Thank you again for the advice. Hope everyone is well

Not necessarily an infection... with moisture constantly evaproating out of a shell, discolorations can come and go... they seem to be much more noticeable with duck eggs than any others, probably due to their translucency... like you said, just keep your nose on it, lol... ;)

Just to follow up.. the blue egg did not hatch. but in all fairness, none of the eggs hatched.

I have a new set. These are Anconas and I'm really excited. I think since they didn't break during shipping (like the last batch- had two break) and they were shipped upright which is how I have them in the incubator I'm hoping to have better luck.

I saw veins and embryos early on, discarded one that seemed to just be dark goo inside and now I have five left. They are also discoloring to blue on the outside but I hope it's just the normal type bc I can't lose a whole batch again I'll be heartbroken.. I will let you know in case someone is interested or experiences discoloration in their eggs and is curious. 4/5 have a bluish tint that seems to shift around. They are due next week

Thank you ! hope everyone is well

Thank you Ravyn! The white egg of that bunch hatched bit it was very small and he had a tough time getting out.. he just died :( at about almost four days of living :( I'm so sad. I think he got too cold after sitting on a wet spot and then I tried to warm him up so fast...

I'm going to try one more time

Back
Top Bottom