Blue Ameracauna Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blueggsandspam, Nov 2, 2011.

1. blueggsandspam

blueggsandspam Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    Almost Heaven
    [​IMG] Well it finally happened [​IMG] My daughter found an egg in the nesting box today that was not brown. It appears to be a very pale blue almost white but not. We have only RIR, 5 of them and 2 Blue Am pullets and the only Roo is a Blue Am so we were getting only tan and a brown colored eggs. The Blue Ams were born in March so it only took 8 months [​IMG] So my question is will they darken in the shade of blue? Can I do anything to help them become more blue? It is not possible that the RIR's have layed a different color?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  2. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    I don't think it is possible that the RIR eggs have changed color, because their eggshells are white, just coated in brown as part of the final egg laying process. We have three Easter Eggers who all lay in the blue to blue/green range and the eggs do vary in shade and darkness from day to day. I love all the subtle variations that you notice when you see them all in the carton together.

3. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    Oh yeah! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Impossible that the reds laid 'em.

They won't get too much darker though. Some strains of Ameraucanas just don't lay as blue, rich, or shiny of eggs as others. However, the first couple eggs will indeed be different from the rest. Sometimes they'll be greener, or darker, or lighter.

5. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I don't think that the egg shell color changes much...they kinda pick a shade and stick to it...though I have personally noticed that when mine got large amounts of mealworms, the egg color was darker.

6. mariel37

mariel37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ocala
    My EE lays green eggs.

7. blueggsandspam

blueggsandspam Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2011
    Almost Heaven
    Both Blue Am hens now laying and indeed the egg from the one IS darker today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by