blue ameracauna?????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kennedyscochins, Dec 1, 2010.

1. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    First, let me say I only raise cochins, so i have no experience with the other breeds. I decided one day to buy 2 dozen eggs from gabbard farms off ebay. Of the 24, only 10 developed. Of those 10, 2 have fully hatched. Both of the ones that have hatched were labeled blue ameracauna. I assume they are EE's because it's so hard to find true aracauna's. My question is this:

The first one that hatched is definitely blue with slate?? colored legs. The second one is completely yellow with pink/orange legs and looks nothing like an EE but it did come from a light blue/green egg. Could this still be an EE? I will take pics but the yellow one is still in the incubator drying, so it may be a while before I get pics up.

2. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Well, Gabbard Farms sells both Blue Ameraucana eggs and Easter Egger eggs. Maybe the one that hatched the yellow chick was mislabled.

3. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    Quote:they only have hatchery stock so if you buy from then they will be EE

4. kennedyscochins

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    Quote:Do EE's have pink legs though? Or, are you saying it is not an EE or an ameraucana? It did come from a blue/green egg.

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    It could also be a splash chick. (ETA: usually splash chicks have slate legs, the toes could be pink, but the leg should be slate.)

I haven't heard good things about the quality of birds produced from there. There was another thread about it, but I imagine it got removed because of the negativity.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  6. kennedyscochins

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    pips&peeps :

It could also be a splash chick.

I haven't heard good things about the quality of birds produced from there. There was another thread about it, but I imagine it got removed because of the negativity.

Yeah, I saw that thread and as I was reading it, I got sick to my stomach thinking that I had bought eggs from there. I have only raised cochins, but since my husband built me a second coop, I thought I would go for different breeds in that coop just for variety. So, I ordered the assortment from them. I should have checked here first for reviews! Anyway, I'll go take pictures so you all can help me figure out what this chick actually is!​

7. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    They can, since EE's are mutts that have a possibility of laying blue/green eggs.

Quote:Do EE's have pink legs though? Or, are you saying it is not an EE or an ameraucana? It did come from a blue/green egg.

8. kennedyscochins

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    Here are some pics:

This is the one that looks like what i think of as an EE:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the one in question:
    [​IMG]

9. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    they are all EE not pure Americana there was a thread about gabbard farms saying that all her stock is from hatcheries
    they should be very pretty though! [​IMG]
    punky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by