blue ameracauna?????

kennedyscochins

Songster
10 Years
Sep 1, 2009
Big Clifty
First, let me say I only raise cochins, so i have no experience with the other breeds. I decided one day to buy 2 dozen eggs from gabbard farms off ebay. Of the 24, only 10 developed. Of those 10, 2 have fully hatched. Both of the ones that have hatched were labeled blue ameracauna. I assume they are EE's because it's so hard to find true aracauna's. My question is this:

The first one that hatched is definitely blue with slate?? colored legs. The second one is completely yellow with pink/orange legs and looks nothing like an EE but it did come from a light blue/green egg. Could this still be an EE? I will take pics but the yellow one is still in the incubator drying, so it may be a while before I get pics up.

Well, Gabbard Farms sells both Blue Ameraucana eggs and Easter Egger eggs. Maybe the one that hatched the yellow chick was mislabled.

It could also be a splash chick. (ETA: usually splash chicks have slate legs, the toes could be pink, but the leg should be slate.)

I haven't heard good things about the quality of birds produced from there. There was another thread about it, but I imagine it got removed because of the negativity.

Last edited:
pips&peeps :

It could also be a splash chick.

I haven't heard good things about the quality of birds produced from there. There was another thread about it, but I imagine it got removed because of the negativity.

Yeah, I saw that thread and as I was reading it, I got sick to my stomach thinking that I had bought eggs from there. I have only raised cochins, but since my husband built me a second coop, I thought I would go for different breeds in that coop just for variety. So, I ordered the assortment from them. I should have checked here first for reviews! Anyway, I'll go take pictures so you all can help me figure out what this chick actually is!​

They can, since EE's are mutts that have a possibility of laying blue/green eggs.

Quote:
Do EE's have pink legs though? Or, are you saying it is not an EE or an ameraucana? It did come from a blue/green egg.

Here are some pics:

This is the one that looks like what i think of as an EE:
40401_pregnancy_and_ee_chicks_002.jpg

40401_pregnancy_and_ee_chicks_003.jpg

This is the one in question:
40401_pregnancy_and_ee_chicks_007.jpg

they are all EE not pure Americana there was a thread about gabbard farms saying that all her stock is from hatcheries
they should be very pretty though!
thumbsup.gif

punky

Back
Top Bottom