Blue Ameracaunas and Black Copper Marans-Gender

mags2009

Songster
13 Years
Aug 8, 2009
Wisconsin
Is it easy or hard to tell the gender of Blue Ameracauna's and Black Copper Marans? Mine are 2 weeks old, and it seems like the Marans are developing combs pretty fast, but the Ameracaunas, not so much. So I just wondered if that mattered or not. Does anyone know a lot about these two breeds? Thanks. (By the way, I want hens, will give away the roosters)

This is the same mix I hatched out this spring. The BCMs acted and looked like boys nearly from day one. Now at 8 weeks, I think they are both roosters. The Ameraucanas are harder to tell, even at this age. I'm still waiting to call them boys or girls.

Straight combed breeds (like Marans) are much easier to sex than pea combed breeds (like Ameraucanas).

I have a pretty good idea from comb and wattles by 2.5-3 weeks with my Marans, but I second guess my Ameraucanas for weeks on end. The wider redder combs will probably be your boys, but don't bank on it.

I agree. I'm new to chickens but have raised both of these breeds since January (when they were babies). I had three Marans. Two of them developed quite large combs fairly quickly. My pullet has almost no comb at all. I have 5 Ameraucanas. The only one I'm positive about at 20 weeks is the black roo and that's only because he crows constantly. He has a fairly large red comb. The other black one is a hen I think since she has very little comb. I have three blue Ameraucanas the same age. They all have combs in between the black boy and girl and none have crowed. They all came from the same breeder/hatch. So either the black roo was an early crower with a super established comb or the three blues are girls. I did post pics on here a few weeks ago and most people thought the blues were roos. I have no idea. I can't tell.

You should be able to tell on the Marans though. The roos definitely look like roos and mine are twice as big as the hen. And the roos are beautiful! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom