Blue Ameraucana Cockerals-which to keep?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickiepoo, Aug 3, 2008.

1. chickiepoo

chickiepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    coastal South Carolina
    I have these two Blue Ameraucana cockerals, and I have to decide which one to keep. There really isn't much difference. I got them at 3 weeks and Nod was always darker than Winkin. He still is ahead on that, but it maybe just a development thing because Nod also has the longer tail, saddle and hackle feathers. I don't know enough to be sure.

Nod
    [​IMG][/img]
    Winkin
    [​IMG][/img]
    Nod(L) Winkin(R)- bad shot, but you can see the beards and muffs some better. The beards may look damp because the like to drink from the A/C drip pipe.
    [​IMG][/img]
    Winkin(R) Nod(L)
    [​IMG][/img]

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Why do you have to make a decision? I think I'd have to keep them both. I like gray feathers:love. They are both beautiful birds;)
    Jean

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Just from the picture, I would keep the one in the middle of the third picture. He has better lacing.

There are other things to consider also. Do both of them have bay colored eyes? How do the combs look? Does one have a more defined comb than the other? Do either of them have any off colored feathers? Lots and lots of small details to go over.....

If you plan on breeding you should keep the other roo as a back up, just in case the other happens to kick the buckect.

4. chickiepoo

Jun 28, 2007
    coastal South Carolina
    Thanks. I love 'em.
    But it is a logistic thing. Out of 11 chickens, I have 5 roos and cockerals. Confirmed.
    Five adult hens (two broody setting eggs) and one unconfirmed. The unconfirmed is Blue Ameraucana also. The 2 adult roos are gorgeous barnyard muts. The other cockeral is a Silver Wyandotte. Gotta thin out somewhere.

5. chickiepoo

Jun 28, 2007
    coastal South Carolina
    Thanks Jean. I don't see any off color feathers. I'll look at the eyes and combs more closely. Kind of a good point about the back up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by