Blue Ameraucana/Cream Legbar Cross

Blue Eager

Songster
6 Years
Oct 30, 2017
Last year I noticed that one of my chickens was laying a beautiful blue egg. After a little research I found that this hen is a Cream Legbar. I have also been raising Blue Ameraucana’s so this year I finally had the opportunity to cross the two. My roo is a beautiful Splash.

The first photo shows the egg color of this first hatch. There are 4 eggs that are the cross & the rest are Blue Ameraucana’s. It is very hard to tell them apart.

The next two photos show the hatch (less than 36 hours old). The four darker chicks are the cross. The other two are either two splash chicks or one splash & a light blue Ameraucana. I am looking forward to seeing the egg/color results of this cross.

Attachments

• IMG_0673.JPG
    IMG_0673.JPG
    802.7 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0655.JPG
    IMG_0655.JPG
    743 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0669.JPG
    IMG_0669.JPG
    512.1 KB · Views: 165
Interesting cross. Your Splash rooster is based on black and he will give a B/B/S gene to each of his offspring. It's not surprising that the chicks are dark. They should feather out Blue. The Legbar hen should be barred. That means the chicks should be Black Sex Links. I can't see all of them well enough to feel sure, probably my glasses and eyes more than the monitor, but I think you have at least three pullets there. Not sure on the fourth.

I wonder if blue eggs on a yellow background might give them a greenish tint?

Interesting cross. Your Splash rooster is based on black and he will give a B/B/S gene to each of his offspring. It's not surprising that the chicks are dark. They should feather out Blue. The Legbar hen should be barred. That means the chicks should be Black Sex Links. I can't see all of them well enough to feel sure, probably my glasses and eyes more than the monitor, but I think you have at least three pullets there. Not sure on the fourth.

I wonder if blue eggs on a yellow background might give them a greenish tint?
Great information...thank you...& wow; can you please tell me how you can distinguish between pullets & males at such an early age; less than 36hrs old.

Much better, It has been suggested that since Cream Legbars are more inclined to their Leghorn heritage as opposed to their Chilean(from where they get the blue eggshell gene) that their eggs are of a more Flat/matte finish and that Ameraucanas being basically South American native that their eggs are more satin or some cases even glossy tone, can you confirm that for us?

When the hen is barred and the rooster is not, the male offspring will be barred but the female will not. The genetics have to be right for down color so you can see the spot, and I think yours are, but the barred males will have a spot on the head. The female chicks will not.

Nicalandia is more of an expert than I have by a huge degree. No comparison. If you take some photos looking down on the chicks' heads maybe you can get a for sure.

The very first post in this thread has an explanation and photos. Yours are blue instead of black so the spot may be a bit blurred but I think you should still be able to see the spot.

Tadkerson’s Sex Link Thread

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Much better, It has been suggested that since Cream Legbars are more inclined to their Leghorn heritage as opposed to their Chilean(from where they get the blue eggshell gene) that their eggs are of a more Flat/matte finish and that Ameraucanas being basically South American native that their eggs are more satin or some cases even glossy tone, can you confirm that for us?
This is absolutely the case, at least with the one & only CL. Her eggs are a matte finish & my BA eggs range anywhere from satin to a beautiful glossy tone.

When the hen is barred and the rooster is not, the male offspring will be barred but the female will not. The genetics have to be right for down color so you can see the spot, and I think yours are, but the barred males will have a spot on the head. The female chicks will not.

Nicalandia is more of an expert than I have by a huge degree. No comparison. If you take some photos looking down on the chicks' heads maybe you can get a for sure.

The very first post in this thread has an explanation and photos. Yours are blue instead of black so the spot may be a bit blurred but I think you should still be able to see the spot.

Tadkerson’s Sex Link Thread

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208
Here are photos of all four. Can you tell anything from these close up head photos?

Again...thank you for the great info & the link!

Attachments

• IMG_0680.JPG
    IMG_0680.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0682.JPG
    IMG_0682.JPG
    978.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0683.JPG
    IMG_0683.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0684.JPG
    IMG_0684.JPG