Blue Ameraucana...pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickiepoo, Aug 3, 2008.

1. chickiepoo

chickiepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    coastal South Carolina
    This chick hatched around May 4th....so almost three months old. There were two and judging between the two I thought this one was a cockeral and the other a pullet. The other one had a crooked beak though and was confusing; also, she didn't make it. So, I don't have a same age chick for comparison. Neither picture is very good, but the first one is the best I have gotten of her face, and the second the best of her tail. I think I see a splash tail feather. So, would that make her a Splash?
    I have two older Blue cockerals that are almost five months old, so I may be just wishfully thinking that the younger one is MAYBE a pullet. If she is a pullet, of couse, she is HOME, but the older cockerals are way ahead of this one in the color dept. IMO.

[​IMG][/img]

[​IMG][/img]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, she is definitely a blue. A splash is a white bird with accent feathers. My blues on occasion would have a darker blue feather in the tail. Hard to really verify sex by that pic, but there, it looks like a pullet.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Beautiful Blue EE pullet.

4. speckledhen

Well, Mahonri, she is probably a true Ameraucana. Her legs are slate as they should be and blue is an accepted color. chickiepoo, where did you get her? If you got her from a hatchery, count yourself quite lucky!

5. chickiepoo

Jun 28, 2007
    coastal South Carolina
    Thanks, Cynthia. I do hope you are right. In March I got 8 eggs and three chicks from a breeder in NC, and I have three to show for it. I had four. One of the three chicks that I KNOW was a pullet died last Wed. Terrible day. She was healthy, thriving, looking beautiful, and I found her dead when I went out to feed. My chickens roost in the horse stalls and go in and out under the stall doors to scratch, so the best I could figure from her location and condition (not a mark, but her neck seemed to be broken) I think she just stuck her head through about the time one of the horses pawed and hit her.
    Where should I post pics of the two older cockerals to ask opinions of which of them to keep?

6. speckledhen

I'd post your cockerel pics under BREEDS. Look forward to seeing those.
    EDITED TO ADD PIC:
    Here are two of my Blue pullets I had and you can see the dark tailfeather in one of them
    [​IMG]

7. chickiepoo

Jun 28, 2007
    coastal South Carolina
    To answer your question, Cyn, I got her from a breeder in NC. No hatchery chick. Uhm, his name is Kevin Bell at StormStryder farms. His black roo is son of some black champion. I am sure it is on his website. His sister owns the roo and he is borrowing him. I'll go now and post the cockeral pics on Breeds.
    Beautiful pullets.

8. speckledhen

Well, then she's an Ameraucana. I have an Easter Egger from StormStryder, given to me as a gift when she was a chick. She came from an egg that was supposed to be a Salmon or a Blue, but obviously, she's neither. Pretty girl, very sweet. Has coloring similar to a Blue Wheaten cockerel.

9. chickiepoo

Jun 28, 2007
    coastal South Carolina
    Appreciate the help Cynthia.
    I have several barnyard chicken muts, but when I convinced DH to let me get the Ameraucanas I wanted to make sure they were Ameraucanas. I had an EE cockerel for a while. He had no manners. It got so bad that every time I went out to feed, if I ever lost eye contact with him, next thing he was trying to put his spurs in me. I know some are sweet, but the disposition thing is so unpredictable that was one thing that convinced me to go with true Ameraucanas. I love em.
    Just thought about something also. This chick is the most skittish of the three. That can be a pullet attribute also, correct?
    She isn't really scared, just the last to come out, the last to roost, easily spooked by the other chickens when eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by