Blue Ameraucana question

Djgm

Songster
May 9, 2020
Northern NJ
So, I got day old babies from Meyer back in August. Rolly, the Blue Ameraucana is teeny tiny in comparison to the rest of the group I got them. I’ve purchased babies before, and none have been this tiny in comparison to the rest. Sure a little smaller, but not so noticeable like her. Meyer doesn’t sell Bantam Blues, so just wondering if she’s just small in general, if there is anything health wise I need to worry about? Is this normal for Blues to take so long to grow? She’s 16 weeks now…picture attached is her next to Cruz, my lakeshore Egger, who was gotten at the same time.

Attachments

• 343442E2-98C0-4B0C-8253-967EE67C3BF8.jpeg
    343442E2-98C0-4B0C-8253-967EE67C3BF8.jpeg
    524.9 KB · Views: 20
Did she thrive since she was small? Sometimes its genetic, sometimes some birds just dont absorb nutrients correctly. She def is a large fowl though, and its not typical for ameraucanas to mature that slow, some lines are slow but shes def on the real small side. Hipe she thrives for you and lays alotta eggs 😁👍

Did she thrive since she was small? Sometimes its genetic, sometimes some birds just dont absorb nutrients correctly. She def is a large fowl though, and its not typical for ameraucanas to mature that slow, some lines are slow but shes def on the real small side. Hipe she thrives for you and lays alotta eggs 😁👍
She has thrived, but she's the scaredy cat of the bunch lol. Runs away real quick when my big girls come by her, but have never had an issue with her besides size. She was the tiniest baby when she got here too.

She has thrived, but she's the scaredy cat of the bunch lol. Runs away real quick when my big girls come by her, but have never had an issue with her besides size. She was the tiniest baby when she got here too.
Sounds like shes gunna be a good bird, now that shes about full grown she'll probably start thicking up a bit 🤟 Ive had some scaredy large fowl ameraucanas several times! The whites and blacks Ive raised were spooked alot easier than any bantam ameraucanas Ive raised.

Sounds like shes gunna be a good bird, now that shes about full grown she'll probably start thicking up a bit 🤟 Ive had some scaredy large fowl ameraucanas several times! The whites and blacks Ive raised were spooked alot easier than any bantam ameraucanas Ive raised.
Haha I too have scaredy large fowl Ameraucanas 😆 Fluff especially. He will get spooked or even if one of the chickens is mean to him, he starts honk squawking and flies onto my shoulder and hides 😆😆 It’s pretty hilarious cuz he’s not even small like the OP bird! He’s the first to be alarmed about anything and instead of alerting the ladies he runs to Mom hehe. I just love their personalities! 😍

My blue ameraucana from Meyer's just started laying and layed a green egg. This made me question her. I asked here about it and someone noticed that she had a 5th toe. I am just wondering if your bird has a fifth toe and if it has started laying yet. By the way, mine was not slow to grow and was actually top of the pecking order for a while.

My blue ameraucana from Meyer's just started laying and layed a green egg. This made me question her. I asked here about it and someone noticed that she had a 5th toe. I am just wondering if your bird has a fifth toe and if it has started laying yet. By the way, mine was not slow to grow and was actually top of the pecking order for a while.
Nope, no fifth toe, and no eggs from her yet either:hit:hitshe's currently in my chicken ICU cause the dumbo scratched her beak real bad, and not an egg to be found and she's 24 weeks. Plus, I keep doing the finger test on her vent, and she hasn't hit two fingers. She hasn't grown any since I originally posted this either lol. I'm convinced she's just going to forever be my pocket chicken ;) and of course, since she gets so much attention from us humans here, she's the favorite of everyone. If I didn't have 2 dogs and 6 cats in the house, I think she'd wind up being a house chicken!

I will say, except for her size, she looks exactly like the EE I got from Meyer in 2021, and that hen has a fifth toe. I'd chat with Meyer in regards to your girl, and ask about the egg, they've been super helpful when I've had to chat with them. Maybe they screwed up and sent you an EE?

Nope, no fifth toe, and no eggs from her yet either:hit:hitshe's currently in my chicken ICU cause the dumbo scratched her beak real bad, and not an egg to be found and she's 24 weeks. Plus, I keep doing the finger test on her vent, and she hasn't hit two fingers. She hasn't grown any since I originally posted this either lol. I'm convinced she's just going to forever be my pocket chicken ;) and of course, since she gets so much attention from us humans here, she's the favorite of everyone. If I didn't have 2 dogs and 6 cats in the house, I think she'd wind up being a house chicken!

I will say, except for her size, she looks exactly like the EE I got from Meyer in 2021, and that hen has a fifth toe. I'd chat with Meyer in regards to your girl, and ask about the egg, they've been super helpful when I've had to chat with them. Maybe they screwed up and sent you an EE?
Awww sweet little pocket chicken :love I have a very small silkie and granted silkies are very slow to lay, but she just started laying in February and was born in April of last year...I'm guessing your pocket chicken will be very slow to lay haha. Will be fun to see what they look like and how small they are! I really want a bantam Ameraucana...I think I am going to look around for some. The personality of the Ameraucana in a tiny package sounds just amazing. :jumpy

I know in my case, it is good that we have dogs and cats in the house or I would definitely have house chickens haha.

I would also guess that you got an EE @chickykids, the fifth toe and green egg are pretty good indications. I bet she's super cute though!! :)

Back
Top Bottom