Blue Ameraucana, Roosters Right?

storminthenight

Songster
11 Years
Nov 22, 2008
Missouri
I have two blue Ameraucana that I'm pretty sure are roosters, but would love a second opinion! They are still pretty young, so perhaps could still surprise me?

#1 this one I've been suspicious of for a long time, "he" goes around showing the smaller chicks where the tasty morsels are!

#2 this one is younger, the comb makes me say roo, hard to tell from the picture but "he" has three distinct rows.

Is it bad I haven't really kept track? I got them from a breeder and the first one may have been a week or two already when I got it, I'd guess 6 weeks for the first, maybe 4 weeks for the second. No yellow feet here, they come from nice lines, although I'm only keeping wheaten roosters so if they are roo's they will have to go
sad.png

Bahahaa! Really? So the darker color of #1 doesn't mean anything? It's comb is larger and more red than my wheaten pullets (gotta love the wheatens, so easy to tell if they are boys or girl!).

Last edited:
Roosters always have a three row comb. If it's a true Ameraucana, with a true pea comb, a rooster will always have three rows. If your blues have wheaton in their background, the rooster might develop red leakage as he gets older and more adult feathers grow in.

Well time will tell
smile.png

No wheaten in the background, I got my first true Ameraucana chicks this spring, both blue and wheaten, and fell in love with the wheatens, went back for more plus an 8 month old roo! So now I have 6 blue/wheaten pullets and 2 roosters. I only have one large pen for my chickens so I'm only going to keep the one color of rooster to make sure my wheaten hens get covered by the right color.

Back
Top Bottom