Blue Ameraucana, Welsummer and, Blue + Black Copper Marans Pics !

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by hcammack, Dec 14, 2008.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I took some pictures with my Dad's Camera (mine broke for some reason) of the new blue ameraucana, silkie, black copper Marans, blue Copper Marans, and welsummers. Also snapped a few of my cuckoo Marans hens.

Here are the welsummers pullets:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ameraucanas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All three blue birds (2 blue ameraucana and 1 blue copper Marans) out in the run I built today
    [​IMG]
    Both my cuckoo Marans hens (not laying now but have decent egg color)
    [​IMG]
    My black copper Marans pullet checking me out
    [​IMG]

Hope you enjoy I know I like the look my new additions are adding to the flock can't wait till their all together.

Henry

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You're really getting some great egg color in that bunch, Henry. I like my Welsummer girls alot. Alma lays a very dark egg while Justine, who came from a very dark egg, lays one akin to a dark RIR egg with speckles, still an interesting egg for the carton. And you know I love, love, love my blue, black and splash Ameraucanas. I'm sure you will, too. In this picture, that one looks a bit manly, but a couple more weeks should tell for certain, I think.

3. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I know one of them is scaring me a bit thanks that the look I was going for a really colorful egg carton [​IMG] glad you like your Welsummers. These Ameraucana are very flighty !!! but I am sure they will calm down with the extremely friendly Marans in with them and I mean extremely they love to be held and come running when ever they see me and its not food based its really great they are quickly becoming my favorites [​IMG] I hope you can add some more blue eggs and dark eggs to your cartons soon. Maybe if the manly little Ameraucana is a good rooster I can find a way to get him to you [​IMG] (you know its my job)

Henry

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Aw, thanks, Henry, but I dont bring in any started birds, just a policy of mine that I'm trying to stick to. Let's just hope it's a manly pullet!

5. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:thats a good policy if I had roosters or a bator I would keep to that! right now I am stuck buying started birds because I have no bator or broodies right now I am pretty sure this will be my last batch of chicks before college [​IMG] I will let broody girls hatch a bit though now I have a silkie to do it for me [​IMG]

6. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Henry,

They are very nice looking. I can not wait to hear your comparison between the Maran and Welsummers.

--Ed

7. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Well I can tell you this already my Marans are much friendlier its will be interesting to see the egg color though I will compare between three groups: Welsummers from whitmore farm, Blue and Black Copper Marans Wade Jeane lines from peachick, and Cuckoo Marans from Meyer Hatchery. I hope I can help you decide on what dark layer to get once these girls start laying.
    Henry

8. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Oh by the way ed are you looking for the darkest eggs or pretty spotted eggs? and does lay rate matter. My Cuckoo's have an OK lay rate and from what I have seen Black Coppers and Blue Copper have at most and OK lay rate while welsummer lay spotted dark eggs but lay much better.

Henry

9. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Everyone is in a cuddle puddle for the night even evil fluff monster joined in! I think I am ready to retire for the night also. I am off sleep tight!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by