Blue Ameraucana x Silver laced Wyandotte OR Blue Orpington x Silver laced Orpington

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by katefollot, Mar 17, 2017.

1. katefollot

katefollot Chillin' With My Peeps

Which would you chose and why?

I'm not doing anything yet as I'm still very much a newbie (prime example; would it ever be possible to breed the brown egg trait out and keep the lace in terms of the Ameraucana?), but I figured I would ask what you all think?

Goal would be for a blue lace bird of course. I'm assuming the BA x SLW would end up being an easter egger and I would never get fluff+pattern+color+egg color consistently? I know with the splash Orpingtons, you can breed two splashes together and get 100% splashes in F1, would that be applicable (too good to be true right?)? Obviously the degree of lacing can vary (I think? it's not a set pattern is it?), so then you could just cull to your liking in terms of pattern and color?

For laughs: I thought 'Orpington' was actually 'Orphington' for a solid two weeks. I think it sounds really dignified!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by