Blue Ameraucanas- Brown spots?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cluckcluck42, Aug 22, 2010.

1. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Hey there, I recently got some blue and black Ameraucanas. Two of my blues have brown spots on them like this. I suppose I will have to cull them, I just wanted to share their pics and see if these are common colour mutations?? Would that be some kind of wheaten gene coming out?

They are still very handsome, I may keep them for my Olive Egger pen.

Any guess on sex while we are at it? lol. I have a feeling both are boys.

Here is the first guy:

I love this guy! So bright!

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

The black is an easter egger - I have 4 running around my yard right now that I got from a hatchery that look IDENTICAL to that one [​IMG] sorry.
  3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Yup both boys. I got a blue from a reputable breeder that leaked gold... it happens.
  4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It is gold leakage, yeah. Although the boy on the bottom is an Easter Egger, and simply has duckwing in his genes - He's no Ameraucana.
  5. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    The blues are my favourite. I really like the spots on these two, do I have to cull them?? I assume this is undesireable in the breed? Thanks for the answers [​IMG]

The last guy hatched out with the rest of the black and blue Ameraucanas. As far as I know the breeder is very trustworthy. What might that be all about? (Besides the obvious of a stray rooster getting in, assuming that the parents of the weird splash are the same as the other birds)

No big loss, splashy mcsplash is a rooster so it doesn't matter what colour he is on my dinner plate. I do love his colour, if it was a girl she would go in my olive egger pen. Oh well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by