Blue Ameraucauna Hen's chicks UPDATE (PICS)

lizrndiver

Songster
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
South Beloit, IL
I set some eggs from my 3 Blue Ameraucauna Hens. My Ameraucauna Roo is black.

I had separated them out for a few weeks before collecting eggs, but now that they are hatching I am sure I should have separated them longer.

The other flock roosters are Buff Sussex and Coronation Sussex. I can tell that at least some are not pure because the chicks look like chipmunks.

So my question is.........Of the one's that are blue or black, is there anyway to be sure if they are pure Ameraucauna? Could they still look pure blue or black Ameraucauna, but have a Sussex father?

I have both brown/buff and black/blue chipmunks that I am guessing are the two different Sussex fathers. I actually can't wait to see what the black/blue chipmunks end up looking like.

I think that no matter what I will band these chicks as crosses and not use any for breeding other than if I need some backyard hens for myself.

Liz

Last edited:
If they've got very apparent Chipmunk stripes on them, the Ameraucanas had no part in being parents unless they're hiding a duckwing or wheaten gene.
wink.png

If the chicks are blue or black and have brown on them though, (some marbling or just a brown head/breast) then yeah, those are likely crosses, and likely from the Buff Sussex.

The thing to do with any other non-chipmunks are wait til they grow older, and check the leg color. Sussex have white legs which are a dominant trait, so the offspring will have white legs too.

Great reply!!! So once they feather in, if they are all blue or all black with slate legs I should be good to go?!

edited to add: I will post some pics this afternoon.

Liz

Last edited:
Okay.....Here are some pictures and what I think they are. Please don't hesitate to correct me.

Newbabychickens016-2-1.jpg

Black Ameraucauna Pure?

Newbabychickens019-1.jpg

Blue Ameraucauna Pure?

Newbabychickens036.jpg

Blue Ameraucauna X Buff Sussex

Newbabychickens043-1.jpg

Blue Ameraucauna X Buff Sussex

Newbabychickens009.jpg

Blue Ameraucauna Pure? I would say maybe splash, but that shouldn't be possible.

Either way....are they not soooooo cute!!!

Liz

Back
Top Bottom