Blue americana eggs? (PIC ADDED)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MamaMarcy, Oct 27, 2011.

1. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I ordered Blue Americana hatching eggs expecting BLUE eggs, then thought maybe Blue was the breed but the eBay AD says they LAY blue eggs. So the eggs that arrived are all light brown and GREEN. Are green eggs referred to as blue??

Kinda upset with the order, mostly cause she packed them POORLY.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:It sounds like you got had or were sent EE eggs or mixed. EE eggs are NOT Ameraucana eggs. I'd complain for sure if I had gotten 1 brown egg in my package! Easter eggers lay green and some pure ameraucanas will lay a hue of green/blue eggs-most lay more BLUE and most try and breed for the true blue eggs.

3. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    stand by for a pic. I'm really upset. (other stresses today so this is the straw that broke the camels back)

4. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    [​IMG]

they look even more geeen & brown in person

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sorry, you got EE eggs, not pure Ameraucana eggs. Pure Ameraucana's will lay blue. EE's can lay any color.

6. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Those look like what I was getting from our EE mix. Now her eggs are a bit darker.

When I got my hatching eggs (FREE, I won't pay for eggs to hatch mainly b/c I don't care for purebreds, I like mixes) I was told that they were ALL are a mixture of Americana/Araucana and several other breeds. [​IMG]

I would be VERY upset if I paid for eggs and was told that they were something they are obviously NOT.

7. MamaMarcy

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I rechecked the ad...it did say ameracauna or however you spell it...with this pic...

[​IMG]

8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:you got Easter Eggers:( You were either decieved because they knew they were NOT Ameraucana eggs OR they bought "hatchery Ameraucanas" which are EE's. There is not a hatchery out there that carries real ameraucanas and they confuse alot of people into believing thats what they are buying..In return they breed them and sell them as Ameraucanas. I'm sorry...what did you pay for the eggs including shipping?

9. LT

LT Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2011
    West Fork
    I think this is a real problem in general. I ordered "Ameraucanas" from a hatchery, before I was educated about the breed. As it turns out, I ordered "Easter Eggers." Two of my Easter Eggers lay bluer than blue/green eggs, and the third one, lays a gorgeous sage green eggs. I am very happy with my egg color, and I love the birds. I think they cost only $.50 more than the other chicks I ordered, so it isn't even a monetary issue. But still, in principle, this is false advertising. I wouldn't trade my three girls, because they are beautiful, but I am surprised there is not more regulation.

1 person likes this.
  10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I have both kinds and love them all dearly. I have an EE that lays the most gorgeous robin's blue eggs...stunning really. I never expected that from and EE but I got it:) I have 6 other EE's and 20 pure ameraucanas? give or take [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by