Blue Amerucana x Welsummer

jbraswell

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2016
Hello everyone,
I am new to breeding and interested in starting an olive egger project. I know with an ameraucana and Welsummer I will get green to olive color eggs, but I was wandering as far as plumage color, what would the outcome be of a blue ameraucana roo x with a Welsummer hen? Has anyone done this cross and have any pics?

Cyprus

Master of the 'never give up' attitude
Jan 19, 2018
My Coop
My Coop
Assuming that both birds are purebred for their colors, the following may occur:

Blue Americauna Rooster x Partridge Welsummer Hen:
25% Pullets, blue unicolor
25% Pullets, black unicolor
25% Cockerels, blue unicolor
25% Cockerels, black unicolor

Partridge Welsummer Rooster x Blue Americauna Hen:
Same results

The reason that you might get black chicks is because Blue is an imcomplete dominant mutation of black Bl/bl+. They carry the black gene but it is not expressed. Bred to partridge, which is wildtype bl+/bl+ you end up with 50% of both male and female chicks inheriting Bl/bl+ and 50% bl+/bl+.

Now, this is assuming that the Blue Americaunas are "Blue" blue, and not "Blue -something-or-other"

And regardless of all of this, the offspring still could turn out with leakage, uneven color, or something totally unpredicted! It's a gamble, but this is the best I can offer you.

jbraswell

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2016
Assuming that both birds are purebred for their colors, the following may occur:

Blue Americauna Rooster x Partridge Welsummer Hen:
25% Pullets, blue unicolor
25% Pullets, black unicolor
25% Cockerels, blue unicolor
25% Cockerels, black unicolor

Partridge Welsummer Rooster x Blue Americauna Hen:
Same results

The reason that you might get black chicks is because Blue is an imcomplete dominant mutation of black Bl/bl+. They carry the black gene but it is not expressed. Bred to partridge, which is wildtype bl+/bl+ you end up with 50% of both male and female chicks inheriting Bl/bl+ and 50% bl+/bl+.

Now, this is assuming that the Blue Americaunas are "Blue" blue, and not "Blue -something-or-other"

And regardless of all of this, the offspring still could turn out with leakage, uneven color, or something totally unpredicted! It's a gamble, but this is the best I can offer you.

Thank you for the info, this was very helpful.

Top Bottom