Blue and black copper maran eggs

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by acusmc, Apr 29, 2016.

1. acusmc

acusmc New Egg

Mar 7, 2014
    I just got some maran eggs to hatch tonight when I went to pick up some spangled old English bantams. They are a blue copper maran rooster over some black copper maran hens. What will I get from these eggs?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Heh, that's the same set up I have going right now! Blue Copper cockerel over Black Copper hen.

This is one is those rare cases were genetics actually match the logical results. You'll get 50% Black Copper and 50% Blue Copper offspring.

3. acusmc

acusmc New Egg

Mar 7, 2014
    So if I separate the black and blue coppers will their offspring be just blacks from the blacks and blues from the blues. Or will I continue to get blue and black from the offspring no matter what?

4. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

That's somewhat correct. From the Black pen, you will recieve only Black, even if those Blacks being bred had a Blue parent.

The Blue pen will give you Blue, Black, and Splash offspring. Blue is a dominant gene which acts as a diluter of black, and is the result of a bird recieving one dose of the gene. Splash occurs when the bird recieves two doses. Blue X Blue will yield 50% Blue, 25% Black, and 25% Splash offspring.

5. acusmc

acusmc New Egg

Mar 7, 2014
    Thanks for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by