Blue and Black Copper Marans mixed?

NakedNeck

Songster
10 Years
Apr 5, 2009
I am thinking about buying eggs from a breeder that has Blue Copper Marans and Black Copper Marans running together. On the ad, it says the Black Copper Marans will improve the color of the eggs from the Blue Copper Marans. Anyways, my main question is, if these two are running together, will the color be messed in any sort of way if a chick ends up being half blue copper and half black copper? It also says there is 2 Black Copper Roos and 1 Blue Copper Roo with both blue copper girls and black copper girls.

Thank you very much!
smile.png

You will get some blue coppers, some black coppers. The egg color will be what it will be. You won't know until they lay, and then only if you lie in wait and bust them laying, LOL. I need to do that with some of my hens too. Time to thin down.

Blue dilutes black pigment. It is the common blue equation: blue X black = 50% blue, 50% black. You can't get a half blue bird.

If you put a drop or two of food colouring in a hen's vent you can tell which eggs she lays. I understand it lasts for not quite a week before you have to add more dye.

Back
Top Bottom