Blue and cuckoo silkie genetic question.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Featherland, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    I have two silkie hens.One is a blue cuckoo and one is a blue that came from an egg marked blue/splash.

What colors should I expect if I breed them with a blue silkie rooster?

What colors should I expect if I breed them with a black silkie rooster?

I am trying to decide what color rooster I want to get.

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    his is the info I was given when I asked about silkie breeding hope it helps a bit. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Blue, black, and splash can be, and often are penned together. The best blues often come from black x blue or black x splash pairings and the best splashes often come from blue x blue or blue x splash pairings.

black x blue = 50% black, 50% blue
    black x splash = 100% blue
    blue x blue = 25% black, 50% blue, 25% splash
    blue x splash = 50% blue, 50% splash
    splash x splash = 100% splash

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    A blue-cuckoo hen bred to a black cock will give you cuckoo or blue-cuckoo cockerels and black or blue pullets. Even odds (50/50) for each colour for each gender.

A blue-cuckoo hen bred to a blue cock will give you cuckoo, blue-cuckoo & splash-cuckoo cockerels & black, blue or splash pullets. 25%, 50%, 25%, respectively, for each gender.

A blue-cuckoo hen bred to a splash cockerel will give you blue-cuckoo & splash-cuckoo cockerels, and blue and splash pullets. Even odds for each colour for each gender.

4. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    how do you get cuckoo silkies? besides buying the eggs lol

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Buy a cuckoo silkie? Or take the long route and cross a silkie with a barred or cuckoo bird from another breed.

6. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    Thank you willowcol and Sonoran Silkies. It amazes me that you know what percentage of what color and sex!

7. melissa508

melissa508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    ma
    If you want to keep the barring on the cuckoo, i would suggest you NEVER breed to a blue & be sure the black doesnt have the andalusion gene , that its from a black x black breeding.

If you do use blue or splash or black with the andalusion gene, you will hatch cuckoos with washed out skin, beak, comb & barring. trust me, I leared through years of trial and error lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by