Blue and Lavender Ice genetics?

aineheartsyou

Songster
10 Years
May 6, 2009
Dixie, WA
Can someone explain it to me? I ordered a pair of assorted americans from holderread so I am not sure if I will get blues, lavender ice or one of each.

aineheartsyou

Songster
10 Years
May 6, 2009
Dixie, WA
the way it was explained to me when I asked about it was that with the assorted it is whatever hatches that day so it could be a matched pair or not.

rainy day ducks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
Southeast Alaska
It will likely be what they have left over. You may get all blues, all lavender, or a mix. When two American blues breed, you can get both lavender ice and blue goslings. When you breed two lavender ice geese, you get only lavender ice goslings. If you breed a blue and a lavender I think you still only get lavender ice. I may be mistaken on that one and am only going off memory.

I have 6 week old American Blues and they are a real delight! The gander is the more outgoing of the two. He has a small Dutch Hookbill duck as a sidekick! You will love these goslings!

Last edited:

Cottage Rose

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Mid west Michigan
I don't believe you will get lavenders from blue x blue.
Blue and lavender are two separate genes so unless both the
blues carry a lavender gene you will not get lavenders.

Jenifer Kraus

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 16, 2010
Kansas
You can ask Dave if your blues have lavender behind them and I am sure he will know. I have had some lavenders out of 2 blue parents. I have lavender turkeys to which are the same color as the lavender ice also the same as lilac according to the ALBC.

Last edited:

pete55

Songster
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Hmm... this is a tough one as it depends on the interpretation of Lavender Ice. Is it a genetic silver or does it also have the buff gene???

My interpretation is a Blue has one Blue gene (heterozygous for Blue) and Lavender Ice has two Blue genes (homozygous for Blue). I'll be very interested in your reply.

Pete

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
Quote:In turkeys, lilac and lavender is completely different. Lilac is 2 'doses' of lavender over a bronze base, lavender is 2 'doses' of lavender over a slate base.

Top Bottom