Blue and Wheaten Ameraucana genetics

WIsgett

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 31, 2013
HI Folks...I have two wheaten Ameraucana hens and a blue (not blue/wheaten) rooster that my 9 year old daughter and I hatched back in late summer. What can we expect the colors in the chicks to be? Is it the same as if it were a wheaten and blue/wheaten cross, or is it different if you cross a wheaten with a pure blue? Thanks.

Looks to me they would be blue and black which would come from the blue Ameracauna. Blue is a form of Black when looking at chicken genetics. Let us know when you hatch any.

Cross 1
hide
Mblauwuitgebreid.JPG
Fzwartgoudtarwe.JPG

EE Blbl+ MbMb OO PP​
EWhEWh MbMb OO PP​
blauw unicolor*E [ Beard Blue egger Peacomb ]
blue unicolor*E [ Beard Blue egger Peacomb ] zwart getekend goud tarwe [ Beard Blue egger Peacomb ]
black patterned gold wheaten [ Beard Blue egger Peacomb ]

hide
25% Hennen blauw unicolor*E [ Beard Blue egger Peacomb ] bold
25% Hanen blauw unicolor*E [ Beard Blue egger Peacomb ] bold
25% Hennen zwart unicolor*E [ Beard Blue egger Peacomb ] bold
25% Hanen zwart unicolor*E [ Beard Blue egger Peacomb ] bold

hide
25% Pullets blue unicolor*E [ Beard Blue egger Peacomb ] bold
25% Cockerels blue unicolor*E [ Beard Blue egger Peacomb ] bold
25% Pullets black unicolor*E [ Beard Blue egger Peacomb ] bold
25% Cockerels black unicolor*E [ Beard Blue egger Peacomb ] bold

Thank you...very interesting. I was hoping, though that we would get some wheaten as well. We'll have to wait and see.

They would be mixed colors... Not blue(or black) and not wheaten, but a blue/blk bird with lots of color all over. The result would be as every one calls the, Easter Eggers

You will surely not get a wheaten. It's like if you mix(unthoroughly) blue and red play dough. You will get a mix of blue and red, some areas with more of one color than the other.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not quite hearing what I was hoping for...if I want some wheatens it looks like I need a different rooster!

On the same general subject, I have a black Ameraucana hen, and I think a blue-wheaten Ameraucana rooster (he's gold with some blue around his neck and back).

I really like him and his color (I am not showing chickens, though I might someday), and I don't want to kill him when I cull the flock this fall. On the other hand, I'm not sure I can justify keeping him if he's not being useful. Any idea what color offspring they might make?

I understand a basic genetic square, but I think chicken color genetics can be a lot more complicated than that.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom