1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue and Wheaten Ameraucana genetics

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by WIsgett, Jan 31, 2013.

1. WIsgett

WIsgett New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    HI Folks...I have two wheaten Ameraucana hens and a blue (not blue/wheaten) rooster that my 9 year old daughter and I hatched back in late summer. What can we expect the colors in the chicks to be? Is it the same as if it were a wheaten and blue/wheaten cross, or is it different if you cross a wheaten with a pure blue? Thanks.

2. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    Looks to me they would be blue and black which would come from the blue Ameracauna. Blue is a form of Black when looking at chicken genetics. Let us know when you hatch any.

Cross 1
    hide
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    EE Blbl+ MbMb OO PP​
    EWhEWh MbMb OO PP​
    blauw unicolor*E [ Beard Blue egger Peacomb ]
    blue unicolor*E [ Beard Blue egger Peacomb ] zwart getekend goud tarwe [ Beard Blue egger Peacomb ]
    black patterned gold wheaten [ Beard Blue egger Peacomb ]

hide
    25% Hennen blauw unicolor*E [ Beard Blue egger Peacomb ] bold
    25% Hanen blauw unicolor*E [ Beard Blue egger Peacomb ] bold
    25% Hennen zwart unicolor*E [ Beard Blue egger Peacomb ] bold
    25% Hanen zwart unicolor*E [ Beard Blue egger Peacomb ] bold

hide
    25% Pullets blue unicolor*E [ Beard Blue egger Peacomb ] bold
    25% Cockerels blue unicolor*E [ Beard Blue egger Peacomb ] bold
    25% Pullets black unicolor*E [ Beard Blue egger Peacomb ] bold
    25% Cockerels black unicolor*E [ Beard Blue egger Peacomb ] bold

3. WIsgett

WIsgett New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    Thank you...very interesting. I was hoping, though that we would get some wheaten as well. We'll have to wait and see.

4. cubakid

cubakid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    They would be mixed colors... Not blue(or black) and not wheaten, but a blue/blk bird with lots of color all over. The result would be as every one calls the, Easter Eggers

5. cubakid

cubakid Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    You will surely not get a wheaten. It's like if you mix(unthoroughly) blue and red play dough. You will get a mix of blue and red, some areas with more of one color than the other.

6. WIsgett

WIsgett New Egg

Jan 31, 2013
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not quite hearing what I was hoping for...if I want some wheatens it looks like I need a different rooster!

7. branwyn

branwyn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    Western NY
    On the same general subject, I have a black Ameraucana hen, and I think a blue-wheaten Ameraucana rooster (he's gold with some blue around his neck and back).

I really like him and his color (I am not showing chickens, though I might someday), and I don't want to kill him when I cull the flock this fall. On the other hand, I'm not sure I can justify keeping him if he's not being useful. Any idea what color offspring they might make?

I understand a basic genetic square, but I think chicken color genetics can be a lot more complicated than that.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by