Blue Andalusian chicks wanted

JestersEye

Songster
14 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Mullica Twp., NJ
My 12-year-old son would like to try his hand as a chicken breeder for the local 4-H, in southern New Jersey. His is currently a member of the Atlantic County Livestock and Poultry club, and wants to pick a relatively unusual breed. We've done some research on the internet, and we really like the look and description of the Blue Andalusian. We would be interested in acquiring one cock and one or two hens to start with. I read somewhere that you have to breed a white cock with a black hen to get all blue chicks... Couldn't you also breed a black cock with a white hen? We realize that we can also breed some blues together to get a 1:2:1 ratio of all three colors. Are there any breeders out there with some chicks for sale?

Quality Blue Andalusians are VERY rare. I know there is a breeder on the West coast that has Stunning Andalusian Bantams but I do not know his name, sorry. You are wrong, the black and white cross will not produce blue. A black Andalusian roo over Blue hens will produce all blue offspring. A blue rooster over Blue hens will produce Blue, Black and Splash off spring. The Andalusian does not have a club that I am aware of so it may be difficult tracking down stock.

Good Luck

Actually a mating of a Black from an Andalusian mating to a Splash [white] from an Andalusian mating will produce all blue offspring. I always heard this was true and a few years back I saved a Black male & a Splash female to run a test. I hatched 43 chicks from the pair and every one was blue. I no longer raise Andalusians [sold my whole flock to one of the hatcheries] & I don't know anyone in Jersey who has the. I will PM you a possible source in NY.

Thanks, that would be great. I searched again on the internet to confirm my understanding of the genetics involved in breeding for the blue color, and I found this definition of Blue Andalusian chickens: "A breed of chickens in which the typical blue color of the feathers occurs only in the heterozygotes; an example of co-dominant gene action."

The following website also explains very well, and is the source of my earlier information. I have a BA in Biology and a Masters in Elementary Education, and am now a Science teacher... These birds would be a great method of demonstrating inheritance and genetic traits in the classroom!

http://www.afn.org/~poultry/breeds/andalusn.htm

Last edited:
sorry i don't hatch mine but i have a hen and used to have a roo but he passed,,,,,,,,, try mergmet thats were i got mine she's a very nice breeder

Woops my mistake on the black roo over blue hens to get blue babies. I found a classified in the Poultry Press with a breeder that has both LF and Bantams but I left it at home so I will post it later.

I got this guy from Meyer Hatchery. I don't know if he is Standard enough for 4-H, but I think he is gorgeous.

P1010696.jpg

Thanks for the pics, 'Babe! Your Blue is beautiful! The 4-H is actually pretty lenient as far as show quality of the animals, but he looks fantastic to me.

I decided to follow your advice and ordered some chicks from Meyers Hatchery. They should be arriving on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week. I will post some pictures once our babies have settled in!
smile.png

if anyone wants blue andalusians WELP hat. is the place to look. i ordered 25 in nov 09 all all lived, very good breed also..

Back
Top Bottom