Blue Andalusian... is this a rooster??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HouseMouseHens, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Rooster

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Hen

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. How the hell am I supposed to know?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. HouseMouseHens

HouseMouseHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    My Coop
    So my blue andalusian has a really big dark red comb and waddles. None of our other chickens have a comb like this, but we have 11 different breeds, so we have nothing to really compare her(him?) to. What do you guys think? All our chickens are between 26 and 30 weeks, so I would think if she was a rooster, she'd have crowed by now, right? But I do leave around when the sun comes up so maybe I just havn't heard it? None of our chickens have laid any eggs yet, and we're a bit concerned about that, but that is another post in a different section. Haha!
    [​IMG]

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Yes, I think you have a pullet.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    pullet

4. kzane23

kzane23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2013
    Northern NM
    OMG! I didn't have any idea what a blue andulusian was and I googled 'baby pictures' and I think thats what one of my 'mystery chicks' is!!!!!!!! I'm so excited now!

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's a female. Andalusians are a similar breed to Leghorns and get those huge ol combs. But your girl has no rooster feathering, and the comb would be larger if she were male. You should be getting white eggs any day now.

6. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    Def a Andalusian hen. You can tell because 1) that breed has rather large comb and wattles and I would be expecting that on a hen of this breed 2) she doesn't have any hackles which are extremely noticeable shiny neck feathers of a roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by