Blue Andalusian, tell me about yours

Kim_NC

Songster
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
Mt Airy, NC
I want another white egg laying breed. I already have brown leghorns and don't really want white leghorns.

So I'm thinking about Blue Andalusians. If you have them (or have in the past), please tell me about yours. Thanks.

Well, I can't really tell you anything yet..I went to a local breeder to pick up some chicks this past Saturday,..BOs and Part.Rocks..she had a trio of Blue Andalusias..the were georgeous!!..she also happened to have three chicks left..had to have em..so we will see. Had I not seen the adult trio, I would never considered them..just hope I didn't get three roos!!

I had a flock of them recently. They were all pretty flighty.....were just started laying when I sold them.....the girls were good foragers, the rooster was standoffish but not overly aggressive. He was overprotective of his girls but a very good rooster to them.....kept watch, called out for predators, found them treats, etc. He was not friendly towards me at all and would posture at me if I bothered the girls, but never actually did anything. He was 2nd in line for roosters in my flock, but just barely.........I expect he would have taken over top position pretty soon had I kept him. The girls were very pretty, very active.....pretty bossy, my flock has calmed down a bit now that they are gone. They spent a lot of time harrassing the young birds. They are great fliers, even with clipped wings (argh), but did not try to escape my yard...they would often jump onto my deck railing and stand up there, but never bothered to jump down on the "wrong side" and run off. Very good about going back to the coop at night.....they often got best spot as they were the first ones in at night. Smart, pretty birds....but not overly friendly to people. They are a nice bird if you have space to let them forage around...they were not happy if kept penned up and would manage to escape if a door was cracked at all.

I have one Blue Andalusian hen that I got as a chick from a breeder. She's lovely looking and full of personality. She's extremely flightly though, doesn't like to be touched. Even with one wing clipped she can still escape my yard and she keeps getting caught sneaking down the driveway! She lays small white eggs.

I wouldn't get them if you're looking for a friendly pet chicken that will stay put in your yard or uncovered pen, but if you'll settle for just watching and not touching then they make a fun flock addition.

Thanks for the help. Our chickens aren't pets, so that part isn't an issue to me.

I do want a decent layer though. What kind of laying rates has anyone experienced? And is a small egg typical for the breed?

I would recommend Black Minorcas before Andalusians. The Andalusians are very beautiful for sure but the Minorcas are calmer in my opinion and seem to lay more and a much larger white egg. Just my two cents, plus Black Minorcas are just so majestic.

Mine layed about a medium size egg, and good numbers. Great free range birds, consumed very little feed, would rather be out doing it themselves.

I love Andalusians - but I have them totally free range and they roost in the rafters of my horse barn. I cannot imagine them being kept in a coop because they are busy birds and tell me their opinions about everything. My roo (contrary to a previous post) is very placid, to the point of asleep at the wheel.

Also, if you live in a cold area, you have to watch their combs and wattles for frostbite. I Vaseline them. They like that. Even though they are free range, they are happy to sit on my lap and be "Vaselined".

Short answer is, if you have to cage them I don't think they'd be happy, but if they can totally free range (like, wander about everywhere, digging up your winter broccolli etc) they are great.

I was getting about an egg a day from each hen but they stopped laying towards the end of December. The eggs were medium, white and delicious.

Hope this helps!

PS I have a Minorca too - only one. Hard to judge but I like the Andalusians better. The Minorca is very bossy and hard to catch.

I love my 2 Andalusian hens from Meyer Hatchery...they're very curious and friendly....great personalities!
thumbsup.gif

Mine forage and fly well but they aren't skittish/flighty. They're laying pretty well, but their eggs have been medium-sized so far...
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom