Blue Andalusian Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BlueAndalusian, Nov 4, 2013.

1. BlueAndalusian

BlueAndalusian New Egg

Nov 4, 2013
    VA
    I've been breeding Blue Andalusians for a while now and i just want to see if there is anybody out there that knows about them or if anyone has them

[​IMG]

me and my friends Blue Andalusians

1 person likes this.
  2. lmccall728

lmccall728 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    I got my first batch of Blue Andalusians about 8 months ago. I started with 15 1 day old chicks (straight run). I didn't know what I had (boys/girls) for a couple of months. I ended up with 7 roos and 8 pullets.

I kept the 2 best looking roosters and all the pullets. I handled them as much as possible for the first month or so. Always treated them with kindness/gently.

They are a flighty/well flying breed. Unfortunately I have found the roosters to be extremely aggressive. Over the last couple of days (they are about 7-8 months old now) one of my roosters - one is much worse than the other, but they are both very aggressive - has went from being on a scale of 1-10 in aggressiveness (1 being non aggressive, 10 being the most aggressive) from a 8 to a 12 in aggressiveness. He comes at you like a fighting cock and will not back off. He comes at you with both feet and bites you at the same time.

He even is aggressive with the pullets/hens - so much so that they are terrified of him. Is this common in Blue Andalusion roosters? My girls are great, non aggressive. They are all so beautiful, especially him. But if this is the norm for roosters I think I will not keep or continue to breed them.

Is there anyone out there that has Blue roos ? If there is, what is your experience with them? If he happens to be (and my other rooster) an exception than I will just find some other roosters.

3. BlueAndalusian

BlueAndalusian New Egg

Nov 4, 2013
    VA
    My roo (in the top left corner) was one of the nicest roosters i have had. In my experience they tend to be flighty, but gentle. He was pretty protective of his hens and got upset when i handled them but he never attacked me. He was never handled much so he was hard to catch and was very flighty. Mediterranean breeds can be very aggressive but there are defiantly nice roosters out there. good luck with yours!

4. deanna99

deanna99 New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    I have same problem, every one I have breed became aggressive & attacked for no reason. I am selling last cock at weekend. Maybe get another line in next year but think they may stay a rare breed! I'm in uk they are beautiful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by