1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Andalusians are the best!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by herechickchick, Jan 8, 2008.

1. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I just wanted to throw that out there. Some of you may know I have a beautiful Blue Andalusian, Merryweather. As I am reading on BYC I see lots of people considering what to order in the spring. I just wanted to share my experience with this breed in hopes others will elect to try some this year. Merryweather is the most beautiful chicken I have. She is a lovely slate, Grey blue color with pretty lacing around her feathers. She is a very friendly bird who adores attention and loves to be toted around the yard. She is relatively quiet in comparison to the other birds and is not flighty however I keep one of her wings cut to prevent flying since she is a light weight breed. She is a fantastic layer. She gives me a beautiful white egg every day. She is laying very well this winter. Her comb is large so care has to be taken that it does not become frost bitten in the winter. She is already exhibiting signs of broodiness. I just love her! So anyway I hope you will consider adding this rare breed that is listed as in critical condition to your flock. Merryweather came from Murray McMurray Hatchery.

Here is my girl:

[​IMG]

2. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    this is my hen i bought 2 but lost one to a cold of some sort. hopeing to find a roo to breed with her.[​IMG]

3. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow they really ARE beautiful! Thanks for sharing, I'm actually considering it now...

4. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    I agree. I have a Blue Andalusian too (Jackie) and just last Spring hatched her son (Pavarotti). He's starting to look very handsome...he's recently started to crow. I will have to take a picture of him and post here.

Here are the pictures I DO have....

Jackie in background on the "ghetto blue milk crate/nest box":

[​IMG]

Pavarotti as a chick:

[​IMG]

and when he started to crow...about 3 weeks ago!

[​IMG]

They are SO sweet...real personality birds. Thanks for spreading the word! The only problem I have with them is the white eggs...I like BROWN but, other than that. I LOVE my Jackie Blue!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by