1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Blue Andalusians - HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by countrybum, Apr 19, 2009.

1. countrybum

countrybum Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    area pop. 96
    Well, against all my better judgement, I purchased 12 eggs from Ebay, they are Blue Andalusian eggs. Out of the 12, I am down to 4, 3 I had movement in and 1 I am uncertain. Today is day 22 and I have my first pip.

When would you candle the others, or attempt to help them? I so want at least 3 to make it.

2. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I'm relatively new to hatching, but in the four months I've been going at it, I've not had much luck with birds I help out of the shell. I helped a couple who were stuck because of a drop in humidity at the last minute. I would help one in that situation again, but If they've only just started pipping and stop before I can really see a face, no way. At this late stage, I doubt candling will give you much info. You'll know if something is moving in there just by watching or touching the egg. I hollar at them if I'm not sure. That usually gets them to rocking around.

3. peaceful

peaceful Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    BC Canada
    You do not want to be opening the incubator during the hatch. Maybe the temperature was low and it is just a later hatch.
    Remember if you intervene to "help" them you risk hatching out weak or sick chicks which can be its own nightmare. I say this now from experience, after helping out late chicks who had pipped but could not hatch out on their own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by