Blue Andalusians? Tell me about them

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LoneCowboy, Feb 11, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I just added a bunch of stuff to my McMurry order and in order to get it up to 75 (so they wouldn't give me a ton of white leghorn packing peanuts) I added 9 Blue Andalusians. All I know is they lay white eggs. What else can you tell me?

2. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    First off they are beautiful birds. Mine are gentle and although they lay well at times, they aren't among my best layers.
    They come in three colors, blue, black and splash. I don't think I would ever want a whole flock of them but having four or five around adds some beauty to the flock.
    Raising them is frustrating because you get such a variety of colors, especially if you just want blue. There is a combination of which colors to breed together to get specific colors but then you are maintaining two or more breeding pens just for them.
    It is love and hate for me. I love the birds but hate the frustration of trying to breed and raise them.
    Monty

3. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    I have one hen that looks exactly like one, but I don't know if she is or not. She lays HUGE white eggs and is a great layer. She is over 3 and lays an egg every other day. But she used to lay alot more. She is on the small side and is very flightly. She is a good flyer and is very active, so no close confinment. She is quite hardy. A little slow to mature, but quick to lay. They are a fun breed and you will enjoy them. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

4. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    I have two from McMurray and both are splash color but they are beautiful.Thye lay as big a egg as a leghorn.They are very curious but a little touchy until they earn your trust.They add a nice touch to my flock.

5. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I love mine. Merryweather came from Murray and she is beautiful. She lays very pretty white eggs. She is friendly but not overly affectionate. She will let me hold her and she is pretty quiet. She has been pecking feathers out of one of my girls but I think we have straightened that out. One thing you do need to keep in mind is that they fly well, I keep her wing clipped and frostbite on the comb can be a bit of a problem in the cold. But other than that they are wonderful. I have really enjoyed having her.

Here is Merryweather:

[​IMG]

6. MNKris

MNKris Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2007
    Well, we just picked up 12 chicks from McMurray this weekend. I can tell you this, We got 8 blues, 2 splash and 2 black. They are smaller than the rocks, marans, stars, aussies, and cochins. They are absolutely beautiful chicks, but they seem to be the curious ones so far. I have had one get stuck in a feeder (saved in time!), one tried to swim (saved!), etc. They don't seem to be anymore flightly then any of the babies at this point. In fact, they seem kind of mellow and mingle with the other chicks just fine. They have good appetites too.

And like I said, they are very, very cute. This is our first time with Andalusians, but so far, I am pleased. Of course, they are only 2 days old, so maybe they get more flightly as they get older.

Now the free chick...that's a whole nother story. That think is about the same size as the andalusians, it's 1/2 black and 1/2 white, and it's nuts. Super fun to watch though. I think it may be a white face black spanish, but time will tell. It's funny how such an itty bitty chick can have such a big opinion about things...

7. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    That's a very pretty girl there.Here's a picture of ny Splash ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. RedStickLA

RedStickLA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    South Louisiana
    I have two from MM and I am getting two more in my order at the end of the month...I have enjoyed mine. One of them is always following me around pulling at my shirt. She is something else...she is one of my favorite chickens. She has a lot of personality! Here are two pictures…they are of the same hen and it is not my favorite girl. I looked and I can’t believe it, but I don’t have a picture of her…I am going to have to go and take one. She is a sweetie. [​IMG]
    Mitzi

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I don't have a Blue Andalusian...or any other color of one for that matter! But, just wanted to let you folks who posted pictures know that your birds are BEAUTIFUL!!! [​IMG]

10. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    They were the only ones left at McMurray to ship with my order. (sexed ones left that is) So I got 9. I might keep one and sell the others. But boy, those pictures are sure pretty, If I had more room, I might keep more. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by