Blue Andalusians

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by anjbagley, Oct 26, 2009.

1. anjbagley

anjbagley Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Star Valley Wyoming
    I have 4 blue andalusian roosters. I want to keep one for breeding with my hens. Question is - What do you look for in a good quality rooster as far as color and markings are concerned? Some have more black on their backs, some of the gray is darker on some, some have more lacing. What are the markings that you want? Thanks.

2. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Quote:It depends how your hens look. It takes a black and a splash to make the blue. The splash is light almost white with darker splashes of gray. So, while you can't show those, they are necessary for breeding. Do you have any hens that are black or splash?

I had 2 roos, one blue, one splash, and 2 hens, both blue, so I am unable to breed more blues. [​IMG]

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Black x Splash will yield all blue.

Blue x Blue will yield 50% Blue, 25% Black & 25% Splash. You most certainly can breed Blue x Blue.

As to the origional ?-the more lacing the better. Overall colour should be as even as possible. If you could post pictures of the 4 it would be easier to offer advice.

4. Hi! I have my first ever Andalusian youngsters in the brooder now. Looking forward to seeing your pics. That'll help me decide when that time comes.

I had 2 roos, one blue, one splash, and 2 hens, both blue, so I am unable to breed more blues.

Sure you can breed more blues.
    Blue x Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Splash, 25% Black
    Splash x Blue = 50% Blue, 50% Splash

They just won't ALL be blues.

[​IMG]
    Lisa​

5. anjbagley

anjbagley Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Star Valley Wyoming
    Thanks for the info. I will post pics this afternoon when it stops snowing enough to go out!!!

6. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Pictures will most definitely help.

7. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Quote:Oh, thank goodness!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by