Blue Andalusion Rooster Extremely Aggressive

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lmccall728, Nov 3, 2013.

1. lmccall728

lmccall728 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    I have raised this rooster since he was 1 day old and have raised him with nothing but kindness. Over the last couple of days he has become extremely aggressive.

He straight out attacks - he comes at you with both feet and does not back off. If you block the first attack he comes back again and again. I have raised chickens over the last 12 years and never had a rooster get this aggressive. He is only 8 months old. He was going to be my breeding rooster for my Andalusions because he is the most beautiful and correct type, but I am concerned this trait will be passed on.

Is this usual for this breed? I have not raised Andalusions before. Any suggestions before he goes in the dinner pot?

2. PrairieChickens

PrairieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Kansas
    I don't know much about Andalusians, but I know that if a rooster is inherently aggressive, he will tend to pass that personality on to his offspring. I wouldn't breed an aggressive rooster for this reason, but it is up to you if you want to take the risk.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I don't think I'd care what breed he is. I don't put up with aggressive roosters, and I certainly don't want them to breed and pass along that trait. I say, into the pot with him!

4. lmccall728

lmccall728 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Thanks everyone for your input - I have to agree - it's not worth taking a chance that he will pass his aggressiveness on to his babies. He is bound for the dinner pot. What a shame, he is such a beautiful rooster. I was just wondering if this was a common trait of Blue Andalusion roosters.

All the rest of my roosters (Salmon Faverolle, Silver Laced Cochin, Blue Laced Red Wyandotte) are very docile and never give me any problems.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Have you looked in the Breeds forum to see if there is an Andalusian thread? If so, those folks would probably be of great help. I only had one Andalusian, a pullet, years ago. I remember she was really flighty, but she was a hatchery bird and I know that breeder-bred birds often have different personalities.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by