Blue Andulasion - laying question

mamahen86

Hatching
Sep 2, 2016
My EE has been like clockwork since she started laying. Every day around the same time. But my blue laid her first egg on sept 3 and has yet to lay another one! Is that normal?? I've checked all around the back yard and coop to see if she's laying them somewhere else but nothing. I also notice she is always with the flock, so I don't think she is laying anywhere else. I'm worried something is wrong with her. Or is this typical for this breed?

That's not unusual, many hens lay a first egg than it takes a while for a second one. It can also take time for her system to become regular. Every hen is different. Many hens that start this time of year will lay at a decreased rate and won't really start laying until next spring. I wouldn't use egg laying for determining whether a hen is well or not, as many hens start and stop throughout the season. I do look at their overall behavior and whether she seems off or not.

You might also consider a little 'training'.

Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days (or longer) can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Back
Top Bottom