blue araucana-red shoulders-cull?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by klf73, Feb 2, 2009.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have a double tufted rumpless blue cockeral that is about 10 weeks old. He now has red shoulders. Is he worth keeping? I don't have any blue pullets and only 1 black pullet. I am very cockeral heavy and need to decide who is worth keeping [​IMG] . I can try to get a pic later if that helps.
    here is a bad front shot of him
    [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I had that issue with Ameraucanas in the past. It's probably the base color showing through, not enough melanisers. I was told not to breed them, so I'd say he's not the best one to use.

3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I think most of my araucana came from mixed color flocks. So I am not sure if it really matters really. I guess I am just trying to justify my choice [​IMG] . He is really nice but I have a barred one that I am thinking is a roo and I also have a black roo that has grown on me. I hate to get rid of any rumpless/tufted since I only have a few, unfortunately for me they are all cockerals(but 1) My other pullets are clean faced tailed and rumpless clean faced. This is such a challenging breed........
    speckledhen-thanks for the response [​IMG]

4. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Quote:I have been told the same thing unless you want to work with Blue Red Araucana. Alan Stanford and Bobbi Porto have some nice ones.

5. Old Rando

Old Rando Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Please refer to the BYC rules:

9. Do not promote other poultry websites that could be considered in competition to BYC. Sometimes it may be appropriate to link to another site that has specific information relative to a question, but moderators have to right to remove links and posts at their discretion.

Thanks for your cooperation! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by