Blue australorp project advice needed!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bk15, Mar 21, 2017.

1. bk15

bk15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2016
    Okay so Iam trying to start a chicken breeding business Iam breeding Splash Orphington Roo to a black australorp hen I know the chicks will blue but how much should I sell them for? I was thinking $10 per chick because my Splash Roo was very expensive he was $250 so what do you guys is that too much money for a breed project chick? I think it's a fair price considering how much I paid for the Roo.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Honestly I wouldn't pay $10 for a mutt chick, which is what you will have. It might be blue but that doesn't really raise the price, a lot of purebred chickens are blue and can be bought cheaper than that. Plus more established blue australorps already exist so if someone really wanted one they would probably go and get one of those rather than spend money on a project that's going to involve a lot of work on their end, unfortunately.

Mutt chicks I would really only sell for 2 or 3 dollars. They wouldn't go for more than that, at least in my area. Even if it's a breeding project for you, the first gen chicks are still just mixed breeds so they won't command a lot of money.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  3. bk15

Jul 22, 2016
    Alright thanks for the advice!!

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    You're welcome! Good luck with the project!

5. bk15

Jul 22, 2016
    Thank u!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by