1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Blue backed houseflies

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by countrygirl57, Jun 29, 2010.

1. countrygirl57

countrygirl57 Songster

Jul 5, 2009
    I've had chickens for 2 summers now, & I haven't had this problem before. This morning my front yard is covered with these huge flies, everywhere the my hens have pooped. I know flies are naturally attracted to poop, but why has this just happened now, I don't know .Any advice anyone?

2. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Songster

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    Food grade Diatemaceous Earth sprinkled on the poo should help. I have also hung one of those stinky fly traps out and it id full of flys.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've had a bad fly problem too this year for unknown reasons. As a matter of fact, I've never had a real bad fly problem til this year, it couldve been the record cold winter we had that mightve had something to do with it, I dont know. I filled my sprayer with 50/50 bleach water and sprayed the pens while the chickens were free ranging. It worked somewhat. A few days later, I dusted the whole pen with DE, didnt work. I waited a week hoping the flies would go away but it got worse. I moved the chickens to another pen a good distance away. Then I went in the 'fly pen,' and let them have it with the raid ant and roach killer. They dropped like flies! (pun intended lol) I resprayed that evening. The next morning there were no flies in sight and using the raid was successful. Knowing I contaminated the pen with the raid, I worked my butt off completely covering the pen with about 3 or 4 inches of fresh dirt and packing it down...an all day job and it was hot! I then sprayed the bleach water on the new dirt also. I waited a few days before I put my hens back in their pen and it all worked out well with no issues and with only a few flies hanging around. It has rained since and still no flies hanging around. I hope I dont have to go thru this again. Flies carry all kinds of diseases and parasites and I thought it imperative to get rid of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by