Blue bantam cochin rooster sitting on 5 chicks????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sjcshawna, Jan 23, 2012.

1. sjcshawna

sjcshawna Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    Fordsville, KY
    I just got a beautiful blue bantam cochin Rooster, he crows so i know for sure he is a roo. He was being outcast by the flock so i brought him inside for a little TLC. He looked lonely so i put some older chicks i had in the cage with him to keep him company. Then i got to noticing......he would sit at night like a mother hen and let the babies nestle under him as they slept. I have never seen a rooster do this before. I'm absolutely baffled. Anyone know why he is doing this? Do you think it may be from loneliness?
    [​IMG]

2. Smittymcmurray

Smittymcmurray Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2011
    [​IMG] This whole site is hard!! Is it just me?

3. sjcshawna

Jan 22, 2012
    Fordsville, KY
    what r u having trouble with maybe i can help im still learning just started yesterday

4. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    Maybe he wished he was a girl?

5. sjcshawna

Jan 22, 2012
    Fordsville, KY
    [​IMG]LOL.....yeah maybe he just wished he was a mommy!!!!

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Many roosters will allow young chicks to snuggle under them at night when they do not have a mama. And if they do, they still may snuggle under both papa and mama.

7. sjcshawna

Jan 22, 2012
    Fordsville, KY
    wow isn't that neat, i didn't know that. I've never had one do this before, but most of the chickens that i have raised up till now have been bigger breeds. Maybe it has something to do with the sweet nature of the smaller chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by