1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Blue barred rock roo - 4 months

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by halo, Jan 1, 2009.

1. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    In my very first batch of blue/barred rocks, I had a gorgeous blue that I thought was a girl, but apparently I missed the head spot, because when the feathers started coming in, they had light barring on them. I didnt want to cull him because he was so pretty, but I couldnt use him. Marina (blueroo) offered to take him, she has some barred girls, and wanted to play around in that direction. She sent me a picture of him today, isnt he amazing??

[​IMG]

2. redoak

redoak Songster

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    He's very handsome

3. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Songster

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    he is very handsome! So what does missing the head spot mean?I have 9 barred rock chicks and they all seem to have some kind of white spot on the head.So do I have all roos

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    This particular boy is a cross of a blue rock roo and a barred rock hen, which makes the result sex linked, in that boys have head spots and girls dont. Barred rock over barred rock creates chicks which all have the head spot in varying degrees.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  5. KellyHM

KellyHM Crowing

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Sooo pretty! Makes me even sadder that my little blue barred boy died. Guess I'll just have to try again! [​IMG]

6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Kelly, let me know if you want eggs. I can bring them at the Swap.

7. KellyHM

KellyHM Crowing

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I think I might have to take you up on that! Maybe my silly EEs will start laying again and we can swap some eggs.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

Kathy, he is so handsome! I bet this cross will be very popular if you keep showing these pictures.

9. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Thanks, Cyn!

10. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Wow, he is gorgeous! [​IMG] I love the blue and barring together. Very cool!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: