Blue barred roo, buff hen??? Hmm???

pamperedpoultry

CHICKENFIED
10 Years
Jan 28, 2009
(south West) Virginia
I hatched over 100 eggs 2 months ago and had a few batches from swaps on here and a couple I ordered from ebay. However I didn't swap for any blue barred cochins or Buffs but I hatched a blue barred roo and a buff hen???? HMM???? what might I get with breeding these to tegether?? any chances of eventually getting buff barred??

Quote:
I tried using the genetics calculator, but they don't have an option for blue barred for the roo. So, here's what I found out:

Blue Roo x Buff Hen:
25% Pullets, blue unicolor
25% Pullets, black unicolor
25% Cockerels, blue unicolor
25% Cockerels, black unicolor

Barred Roo x Buff Hen:
50% Pullets, black unicolor barred
50% Cockerels, black unicolor barred

So, you could get a combo of those combos possibly.
hu.gif

Quote:
I tried using the genetics calculator, but they don't have an option for blue barred for the roo. So, here's what I found out:

Blue Roo x Buff Hen:
25% Pullets, blue unicolor
25% Pullets, black unicolor
25% Cockerels, blue unicolor
25% Cockerels, black unicolor

Barred Roo x Buff Hen:
50% Pullets, black unicolor barred
50% Cockerels, black unicolor barred

So, you could get a combo of those combos possibly.
hu.gif

thanks!
smile.png

it would depend on the original genetics of the 2 birds you have. it really depends on the recessive(hidden) genes. it is conceivable that you might get a duckwing of some sort out of it all. I'd do it just for the surprise of it all. And if you have some a full-sibling of that hen (if you know which of them are full-siblings), then I'd throw her in the trio, to see what comes of it.

Quote:
Thats just it I have no idea where the 2 came from? Its either been a mix up on someone that I ordered eggs from or I've got some hidding genes some where that are just showing up and never have before. LOL I may try it just to see.
smile.png

Sounds like someone had BBS in with barred cochins. I've never seen a blue barred cochin roo- but I bet he's gorgeous! I wonder if you could make some of the "false" lemon blue with barring? That would be awesome! I don't mind mixed color cochins at all. They are just such nice birds- as long as you have "all cochin", they'll be gorgeous & have that great personality. Keep us posted si you breed them!
wink.png

Ignoring the Barred aspect for a moment; when you're breeding Blue to Buff, isn't it likely that some Buff-coloring will "leak" through the Blue? Isn't that what people have been doing to create "Lemon Blues" (which aren't true Lemon Blues, just a hobby name for Blue x Buff crosses) lately?

So, you'd feasibly get what people would call a Barred Lemon Blue? I'm not sure how Barring works.
hu.gif

EDIT: HappyMtn, we had the same thought and posted at the same time!
smile.png

Quote:

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Nope, her lil one looks like mine though..

I have some lav hens covered by a split black roo?? and I had some mottled hens covered by a white frizz roo in this batch was there any possible way he could have came out of them???

Back
Top Bottom