Blue barred roo, buff hen??? Hmm???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pamperedpoultry, Jul 29, 2010.

1. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

I hatched over 100 eggs 2 months ago and had a few batches from swaps on here and a couple I ordered from ebay. However I didn't swap for any blue barred cochins or Buffs but I hatched a blue barred roo and a buff hen???? HMM???? what might I get with breeding these to tegether?? any chances of eventually getting buff barred??

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:I tried using the genetics calculator, but they don't have an option for blue barred for the roo. So, here's what I found out:

Blue Roo x Buff Hen:
    25% Pullets, blue unicolor
    25% Pullets, black unicolor
    25% Cockerels, blue unicolor
    25% Cockerels, black unicolor

Barred Roo x Buff Hen:
    50% Pullets, black unicolor barred
    50% Cockerels, black unicolor barred

So, you could get a combo of those combos possibly. [​IMG]

3. pamperedpoultry

Quote:I tried using the genetics calculator, but they don't have an option for blue barred for the roo. So, here's what I found out:

Blue Roo x Buff Hen:
    25% Pullets, blue unicolor
    25% Pullets, black unicolor
    25% Cockerels, blue unicolor
    25% Cockerels, black unicolor

Barred Roo x Buff Hen:
    50% Pullets, black unicolor barred
    50% Cockerels, black unicolor barred

So, you could get a combo of those combos possibly. [​IMG]

thanks! [​IMG]

4. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    it would depend on the original genetics of the 2 birds you have. it really depends on the recessive(hidden) genes. it is conceivable that you might get a duckwing of some sort out of it all. I'd do it just for the surprise of it all. And if you have some a full-sibling of that hen (if you know which of them are full-siblings), then I'd throw her in the trio, to see what comes of it.

5. pamperedpoultry

Quote:Thats just it I have no idea where the 2 came from? Its either been a mix up on someone that I ordered eggs from or I've got some hidding genes some where that are just showing up and never have before. LOL I may try it just to see. [​IMG]

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Sounds like someone had BBS in with barred cochins. I've never seen a blue barred cochin roo- but I bet he's gorgeous! I wonder if you could make some of the "false" lemon blue with barring? That would be awesome! I don't mind mixed color cochins at all. They are just such nice birds- as long as you have "all cochin", they'll be gorgeous & have that great personality. Keep us posted si you breed them! [​IMG]

7. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Ignoring the Barred aspect for a moment; when you're breeding Blue to Buff, isn't it likely that some Buff-coloring will "leak" through the Blue? Isn't that what people have been doing to create "Lemon Blues" (which aren't true Lemon Blues, just a hobby name for Blue x Buff crosses) lately?

So, you'd feasibly get what people would call a Barred Lemon Blue? I'm not sure how Barring works. [​IMG]

EDIT: HappyMtn, we had the same thought and posted at the same time! [​IMG]

Quote:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2010
  8. pamperedpoultry

Quote:Thats a good possibility I'll def keep it posted if I decide to experiment I'll try and get a pic uploaded of him also

9. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
  10. pamperedpoultry

Quote:Nope, her lil one looks like mine though..

I have some lav hens covered by a split black roo?? and I had some mottled hens covered by a white frizz roo in this batch was there any possible way he could have came out of them???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by