blue birds and electric fences?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wildorchid053, Sep 1, 2009.

1. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    we have lots of bluebirds nesting in our houses and i want to put electric fencing around the top of the coop.. do you think they would land on it.. they seem to sit on top of everything for a look out
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I don't think it bothers them if they do land on it? Whatever touches an electric fence has to be 'grounded' to get shocked from my understanding.

Put up your fence and don't worry about the birds [​IMG]

3. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    no problem,you see birds sitting on high voltage lines often,as long as no ground is created they won,t be shocked

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Actually birds *are* sometimes killed by electric fences, if the wire runs close enough to something grounded (like a metal fence, or a metal fencepost) that a bird can accidentally touch the grounded conductor with its tail while sitting on the hotwire.

For most fences, you can design things to prevent this possibility if it's really important to you. (Just ensure no grounded conductive materials within 'birds reach' of the hotwire)

It's pretty uncommon, though, so unless there is a particular *reason* to expect lotsa birds perching on the wire, I'm not sure how much of a concern it really is.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by