Blue/Black Ameraucana & Orp Chick Pics

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by speckledhen, Nov 17, 2007.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Roped DH into holding the babies so I could get better pics of them. Here they are-all are 3 days old except the light silvery one, who was hatched yesterday. The other one didn't hatch. Even though it was still Day 21, we opened the egg and the chick was perfect, no mess, no problem, must have just died a little while before. I think it was too large for the egg and couldn't maneuver itself around to pip, even though the egg wasn't small. Anyway, here are the other cuties:
    Blue (I think) Orpington:
    [​IMG]
    Black Ameraucana (Charlotte's)
    [​IMG]
    Blue Ameraucana (wouldn't stand for a good pic)
    [​IMG]
    Blue Ameraucana (Silver's-looks just like she did)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Absolutely adorable!!! Thanks for sharing!

Dawn

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    AWWWWWWW cute! I want some! Sitting on my hands!

Guess what I am expecting some white Silkie mommas coming in December out in OH....Hopefully they will set the eggs on for me next year. Too cold to be having chicks right now even I lost a few chicks in the last two weeks, they got smothered by other chicks during the pileups. Luckily the orps and Amercuana Bantams are doing ok but the Hamburg Bantams didnt make it.

4. speckledhen

Sorry to hear about those, Robin. I have some five and three-wk olds in the outdoor nursery coop with a 125 watt and a 100 watt red flood on them. It has a lower ceiling than the rest of the shed and the sides are covered with old bedspreads. They seem fine out there, even though the temps have been in the 20's at night. The shed is double walled.

5. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    i really love the look of the little silver one - such a pretty baby.
    so do you have any ideas on if they are pullets or is it way to early to tell yet?
    they are such cuties !!

Julie

6. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    You have some of the most beautiful birds I have ever seen! I Love that little Silver one and the Blue! Thanks for sharing!

7. aran

aran Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    rochester ny
    hehehehhe I have a bunch of them in the bator as we speak fluffing up nicely...the silver one is just amazing looking. I have 2 of the blue orps like that top pic cynthia so far...2 more I hope will have started/hatched by the time I get home. So far out of 14 eggs that developed there are 8 healthy chicks and 1 which was 1/2 way unzipped on his way out when i left for work today...thats a 65% hatch rate already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your eggs are AWESOME!

8. speckledhen

I'm glad you're pleased with the entire thing, Aran. I can't wait to see those little beauties when you post the pics. I honestly have no idea about the sex of these yet. I think I'll have to wait a couple of weeks for the combs on the Ameraucanas to develop some and see how the Orp baby feathers out.

9. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Congrats on the beautiful chicks! [​IMG]

10. ZuniBee

ZuniBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2007
    Zuni, Virginia
    My little Black Ameraucana from Silver looks just like yours in the picture. Can't wait to hatch some of the Blue Orps, they are so cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by