Blue/black JG, cockerel or pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HHandbasket, May 10, 2011.

1. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Sorry I couldn't get better pictures. He/she does not like to be held. I couldn't get a whole body shot, but got a head shot and tail feathers. Granted, these are not the best quality and taken with a cell phone. This particular chick hatched on March 12, 2011, so she/he is 8-1/2 weeks old (will be 9 weeks this Saturday).

It is a blue/black Jersey giant cross. I'm thinking pullet, due to a lack of comb & wattles at 9 weeks??

Tail feathers:

2. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Looks pullety to me. She has a very interesting feather pattern and... is that a pea comb?
  3. BantyRooster

BantyRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Looks like a pullet to me. Definately not a Straight comb, though. Did the chick hatch from your stock or purchased eggs?
  4. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

I hatched her from an egg that came from Linda's (gryeyes) yard. She has quite a barnyard mix there! I was not sure if she was blue Jersey giant or blue wyandotte (the blue wyandotte has a rose comb). Might even be a black australorp hen x EE roo. I'm just hoping it's a pullet so I can name her, keep her, and steal/eat/sell her eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by