Blue, black or splash Wyandotte?

browning6

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 2, 2012
Winton, California
i bought this rooster as a chick abought 5 months ago And I bought than as blue Wyandotte chicks. However when he matured he has gold flecks in his neck, and overall some funny colors throughout. What exact ally is he? I know he has the wrong color legs but that doesn't bother me too much. Is he a blue Wyandotte or a mutt?

Colour wise, he is a blue. However, not a very good one. The colour coming through is called leakage, and is highly undesirable. He should be a solid blue colour, no gold or silver anywhere.

I don't know anything about his breed but, I know in silkies for instance, they can start as black chicks and underneath their feathers are coming up blue. With each molt the color changes. If they are meant to be blue or splash, etc. they will eventually get to that color. Maybe your boy will go through that when he enters molt. If you weren't planning to have him for show - there is no reason to think less of his because his color isn't right. Enjoy him, he looks like a nice roo to me.

Back
Top Bottom